Looking at 2002 Tj, Built up and low mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at 2002 Tj, Built up and low mileage

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
weeveman2442
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Looking at 2002 Tj, Built up and low mileage

I'm interested in a 2002 Tj that is pretty built up (just took it for a test drive and it seems to run well). The thing has around 40k miles on it and ten of those have come from the past eight years (time span that the current owner has had it). The owner doesn't have much use for it but he doesn't want to just give it away. I'll list some of the specs/upgrades he's done and I was hoping for a few price estimates as well as opinions on whether or not this would be worth it (upgrading from a basically stock 2000 Tj w/ 140k miles).

The price estimate from Kelly Blue Book was around 13,500 when entering in the few options it allows including running boards, custom bumper, grill guard, winch, and over sized tires.

Additional mods/extras: ARB air lockers (front and back) w/ compressor, 6" lift kit and changes to rear drive shaft, shocks, gears and slip yolk eliminator needed to work with lift, modded exhaust, soft and hard top, half and full doors, hoist a top storage system, rear tire carrier, and jack.

When getting the prices of all the things hes done/including with the sale of the jeep and adding it to the kbb estimate, the total price is around 22k but this is definitely an over estimate. (Keep in mind that almost all of the mods were all done the year after he got it which was in 2004) The overall condition of the Tj is pretty good for the age but does have some rust on the underbody and a few scratches/marks that seem to be pretty common with the wranglers I've seen. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

weeveman2442 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest that you obtain the following information.
1. Lift brand
2. Front and rear differentials (type and gear ratio)
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You didn't state the sales price, or was that intentional ?

6" of lift is serious, what size tires, and is this what you are looking for ?
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
weeveman2442
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about the brand of lift but to give some perspective, he spent around 1,800 on it (8 years or so ago)
ARB air lockers (around 1,400 spent) and from what I've read, that means 4.88 ratio? I'm totally new to the mod scene so I really don't know how to estimate the current value of all of this equipment. Sorry I couldn't be more help but I'll try to get in contact with him in the next few days if necessary. I really just need some general asking price ideas to start the bartering process. I was thinking 15500 since the mods were done a while ago and its hard to expect to get much back from that kind of investment but I still don't want to low ball it and ruin the opportunity for a sweet jeep
Unread 11-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
weeveman2442
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No price has been determined, that's what I needed help with. He didn't want to suggest a price and asked me to consider what he's done and come back to him with what I think is fair. I believe it has 35's (with a full sized spare if that makes a difference). Also, in a way, I am looking for something like this. I was planning on building my jeep over the years but this one has a lot of the stuff I would add as well as super low mileage.
It looked like a good opportunity and I'm pretty interested.
Unread 11-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #6
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Take a look at this Rubicon, which is built better than the rig you are describing plus it is 3 years newer. I have a feeling that the 6" lift you are describing is one of the cheaper brands (Skyjacker, Rough Country), which adds absolutely no value to the rig. After market parts do not add a whole lot of value. I would not offer more than KBB private party.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/3430781095.html
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where is this jeep?

...i think i looked at it last week lol.

At any rate, if its near Flint. Shoot me a PM. I have a firm price that guy will take. Its more than i thought it was worth, so i passed...but to each their own.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
weeveman2442
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, its not in Flint although I'm beginning to reach the same conclusion that you did. The price I'm willing to pay is probably much less than he's willing to accept. I'll post sometime later this week what happens for anyone who's interested.
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

KBB is probably close to what a sane person would expect for that. Id be willing to bet he wants $16K? Its got some real low miles, but with only 40K miles it should be absent of rust (even underneath). Its hard to put a price on something like this...id be happy paying 11-12K if the other components are quality brands.
--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2002 , help needed , price , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.