Looking at a 1991 Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Looking at a 1991 Cherokee

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
scupking
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at a 1991 Cherokee

I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hi. Anyways I'm going to be looking at a 1991 Cherokee this weekend. It has new paint (dark blue), low miles (88,000), new big mud tires and spare set stock on aluminum Jeep wheels included. The issue is the person selling it says "its noisy when driving down the road. I think it is the tires. Was going to swap tires but never got to it. My daughter doesn't like the way it steers. Tires may have something to do with it. I think it needs a front Universal before any four wheeling. Please feel free to bring your own mechanic or take it to one". He is selling it for $1850. I will bring it to my mechanic and see what they say then offer $1500. Also what are some good mods for jeeps? I'm big into mustangs and have done lots of engine and exhaust work on my 01 GT. I was thinking exhaust, CAI and a brush guard, anything else I should do or know?

scupking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #2
scupking
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just called the guy selling it to ask some more questions.

Why did it need a new paint job = It was his daughters jeep and her boyfriend works at a body shop so he had it painted for her.

Why selling it = Daughter doesn't want it any more and doesn't like how it drives with the mud tires on it.

Any Major problems = U-Joints need to be replaced before using it in 4 wheel drive.

It has a new 4.0l 6 that was put in by the daughter’s boyfriend seeing as he works on engines and he felt like putting a new one in. They said nothing was wrong with the old one though.

It will include the original jeep tires.

Does this sound like a good deal for $1850?
Unread 12-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
alwaysready
2000 XJ Cherokee 

define new big mud tires?
size?
does it have a lift kit to fit the mud tires?
price sounds good if it drives ok etc.
new u joint is nothing how does he know it needs a new joint?
usually they start squeeking clunking or the driveshaft decides to come out on its own.
88,000 shouldnt need a u joint but maybe?
who put on the tires?
the engine being replaced is still weird.
just cause someone does engines doesnt mean they are going to go to all the work to replace it if there was nothing wrong.
these motors usually run for 200,000 miles w/o problems

mods ya CAI exhaust, brushguard? only if you not goign to wheel it. other wise get a real bumper on it, otherwise the first tree you bump youll bend the guard into the grille and lights.
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #1 :D
alwaysready is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
scupking
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysready
define new big mud tires?
size?
does it have a lift kit to fit the mud tires?
price sounds good if it drives ok etc.
new u joint is nothing how does he know it needs a new joint?
usually they start squeeking clunking or the driveshaft decides to come out on its own.
88,000 shouldnt need a u joint but maybe?
who put on the tires?
the engine being replaced is still weird.
just cause someone does engines doesnt mean they are going to go to all the work to replace it if there was nothing wrong.
these motors usually run for 200,000 miles w/o problems

mods ya CAI exhaust, brushguard? only if you not goign to wheel it. other wise get a real bumper on it, otherwise the first tree you bump youll bend the guard into the grille and lights.
Yes I belive there is a lift kit. I'm still going to have my own shop take a look at it. This is the link to it http://hartford.craigslist.org/car/504531907.html

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.