Lookin to buy my first Jeep... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lookin to buy my first Jeep...

So here goes...

I've basically wanted a Jeep since I was 18 and got my license, but I've always raced 4 wheelers and needed a pickup so the Jeep was going to have to be a second vehicle. I never really had the means (both financially and a space to store it) for a second vehicle until recently...so now I'm looking to get one soon (March or April).

I'm completely torn between a Cherokee or Wrangler. I've got a nice Dodge Ram for daily driving, towing, long distance, etc...so the Jeep will be a toy for the most part. I LOVE the idea of taking the top off of a Wrangler and doing some trail/offroading with friends and all. But I feel like its limited in its cargo carrying ability. The Cherokee is able to carry more cargo/people. It also (from what I've seen) seems to be considerably cheaper. I see the average, decent running Cherokees for more like $1500 and Wranglers seem to be more around $2500.

How do they compare as far as reliability? And most important, cost of upgrades? If the Cherokees are twice as much to upgrade as the Wrangler that could play a big part. It's honestly going to be a toy like I said so the less it costs me the better. I would love to slap some 35s on it though and make it a very capable trail rig. Thanks for the input guys, cant wait to find something and be a part of this forum!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-06-2009, 01:23 AM
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

wrangler guys are going to say get the wrangler. cherokke guys are going to say get the XJ. so....you'll be happier w/ a wrangler if you want to take the top off on a beautiful day and just ride.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-06-2009, 03:18 AM
RogueSpear2023
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The both have there advantages but if you want cheap the XJ is probably what you want. A wrangler for the most will be more capable, and there will always more you can do to a wrangler, the XJs are very cable in there own, right and you will soon learn 35s aren't cheap, look a spending 8-10K to do it properly. I would say 33s are much more doable.

Max

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
4.0L, 42RLE, Dual Tops, Full Doors, JKS Front Disconnects, Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs, .75" Front Coil Spacers, Bushwacker 6" Flat Fender Flares, Skid Row Steering Box Skid, LubeLockers, Rubicon Locker Mod, OBA, Cobra 19 Ultra III CB, 3' Firestik, Rough Country 2.2 Steering Stabilizer, RC 1.25" BL, RC 1" MML, RC Grab Handles, Fog Lamp Bent Pin Mod, 4" Apline S Series Speakers, Kenwood Excelon 6.5" Speakers, 6.5" JL Audio 6W3V3 Subwoofer (in center console) w/MTX Thunder 202 amp, IPF H4 Headlight Housing, Sliverstar H4 bulbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Buying a jeep and not taking it off road, is like buying a dragster and never taking it to the track"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.