LJ owners, I need some advice... tj'ers look too!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > LJ owners, I need some advice... tj'ers look too!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 05-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #1
05LjNj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ owners, I need some advice... tj'ers look too!!

I am in the market for a TJ... but am now becoming interested in the LJ... (Im just not a JK kinda guy) and i was just wondering how you all felt about your LJ's vs the TJ. I like the extra legroom for backseat passengers and i like the extra cargo room in the back..

Now does the longer wheelbase at all affect ride quality or offroad ability?
Also, is the extra legroom substantial? or do friends still Bi*** about it?
What fits in the back of an LJ vs what doesn't fit in the back of a TJ?

Also, the Dana44 is a massive plus for this vehicle and the idea of trailering more is nice too... Thanks..

Pictures of LJ's would be awesome thanks!!!

05LjNj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 02:30 AM   #2
edmond
2012 JK Wrangler 

Let me try to help, I recently sold my 4th TJ to purchase an LJ.
The room behind the rear seat is a noticable improvement. I can now fit, a tool chest, sub box, air compressor, tow strap and small shovel.
The street ride is also better. Off road it is better and worse depending on the obstacle, but I would say I like the LJ better. I do not sit in the rear seat so can't say for sure, but it does have more room. You also have the added ability to actually tow something other than a Jet ski ....lol

SOLD -2006 LJ, 38" BFG's on KMC Beadlocks, Sway-A-Way coilovers, FT LA, D60 ProRocks,ARB's,Rock Hard Cage, Prestige Billet Products Etc..
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
05LjNj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

thanks i appreciate the input... anyone else?
Unread 05-08-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Dragon158
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a TJ Owner and never liked the extended look of the LJ. I also have a child and after I've owning my 04 TJ for over a year, I kind of wish I was more open to the LJ's when I was buying. I added a roof rack for storage when we take trips as a family, with out the rack I just don't think I would have been able to use the jeep as much as I have...
In hind sight, I still think the LJ's look a little weird, sorry LJ owners. But I think I could have used the added storage space more with hauling my kid around. Especially because I use my jeep as a DD.
Dragon158 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 07:46 PM   #5
sandjunkie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I owned a TJ and sold it to get an LJ. The extra space is a huge plus especially with kids. Now I have enough space in the back that I can throw some bags in and head out for the weekend. I used to think the LJ's looked kinda funny and I still think they do if not lifted. Lifted LJ's Rock.

TJ

LJ

sandjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

i just got an LJ after totaling my TJ. I had a 4" FT lift on the TJ, my LJ has a 4.5" RE lift, and it feels a lot more stable on the road. I haven't had it offroad yet (hopefully in a couple weeks) but i've heard the extra 10" wheelbase makes it more stable. considering the universally accepted, optimum wheelbase for a offroad jeep is ~100", and the LJ is at about 104", and TJ's are at 94"...i can see how a lifted LJ will perform better offroad.
I really like the extra space in the back, there's 2" extra backseat legroom, and 12" extra space behind the seat (double that of a TJ). My TJ was an early '99 so most of the things i like better about the LJ are also on newer TJ's, mainly creature comfort things. I'm REALLY glad i went w/ the LJ over another TJ.
JF taught me that the 2.5L, Ax-5 and D35 together are so powerful that angels weep when I shift into 4LO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
The only thing a bicycle inner tube is good for, is tying a knot in the end of when you run out of condoms.
mike_dippert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 06:27 AM   #7
05LjNj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

i really like the way the LJ's look lifted, i think its the only way to go... and like some of you i feel like i will regret not getting a LJ if i do get a TJ
Unread 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
.Jch.
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I love my LJ. I got rid of the back seat and have basically a truck bed back there now. The ride is excellent on road and it handles very well off road. I don't really see much reason to choose a TJ over an LJ if both are available to you.

[U]OllllllllO[/U][/B]
[SIZE="1"]2006 Unlimited[/SIZE][/CENTER][/SIZE]
[center][B]Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #2006
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/LJ_Owners"]LJ Owners, join the group and click here.[/URL][/B][/center]
.Jch. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #9
Wheels4

do any of you guys pull trailers that are close to the max rating?? if so... how does the LJ handle it?
Wheels4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
brokenarrow184
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought my 02 Tj a couple weeks ago and I love it. I really didnt like the Lj's much at first but i went and test drove one with a 4" lift and 33's and I liked it. I was at the carwash washing the wifes Tahoe the week before I went to pick up my TJ and there was a guy washing his 06 LJ Rubicon with the Fabtech 8" lift and 37s, it was awesome! If I coulda found an LJ built-up like that I woulda bought it!

I dont dvire my Jeep a lot and rarely have any passengers so the TJ works great. I did drive with two guy passengers last week and had no complaints.
SOLD 2002 TJ X Hardtop, full doors, 5.5 RE LA, 1.25" BL, 35X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 AR Teflons, 4.56 gears, ARB air lockers Frnt and Rear, SYE, TW CV shaft, Super 30 and 35, TXT Frnt and Rear bumbers, Poison Spyder Sliders, TXT sport cage, KC 130W highlights, CB, Airraid, TB spacer, Borla headers.
brokenarrow184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #11
brokenarrow184
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Forgot to mention...

Im not sure how much longer overall the LJ is compared to the TJ but the a big plus for the TJ for me is being able to park my motorcycle at the front of the garage and then still being able to park the TJ in behind it.

I suggest you go drive both and see what you think. It sounds like the LJ will work better for you as long as you like the way they look.
SOLD 2002 TJ X Hardtop, full doors, 5.5 RE LA, 1.25" BL, 35X12.50 BFG MTs on 15X8 AR Teflons, 4.56 gears, ARB air lockers Frnt and Rear, SYE, TW CV shaft, Super 30 and 35, TXT Frnt and Rear bumbers, Poison Spyder Sliders, TXT sport cage, KC 130W highlights, CB, Airraid, TB spacer, Borla headers.
brokenarrow184 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
edmond
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels4 View Post
do any of you guys pull trailers that are close to the max rating?? if so... how does the LJ handle it?

I pull a 3500lb travel trailer, it handles it just fine.

But I do have a dual antisway,elctric brakes,brake controller, and a weight distribution hitch.

SOLD -2006 LJ, 38" BFG's on KMC Beadlocks, Sway-A-Way coilovers, FT LA, D60 ProRocks,ARB's,Rock Hard Cage, Prestige Billet Products Etc..
edmond is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #13
sickLJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

My wife has a TJ that I built for her and she loves it. I Didn't like the lack of room so I bought myself an LJ. All of these guy's ponts are valid and I agree with them...except that the LJ looks funny! I think all jeeps look funny not lifted. Another reason I liked the LJ is that they all have the Dana 44 rear axle. Rubi's have them front and rear. The LJ does pull the trailer much better than the TJ. My LJ runs a 5.5 RE long arm and 35's and can handle the trailer well. The TJ gets some sway at higher speeds or wind. I will be posting my LJ for sale in the near future to accomodate the baby on the way.
sickLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.