Little worried - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Little worried

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
newaroundhere

Little worried

I'll try to be brief...

I just bought a 99 Wrangler sport for my husband. It was a surprise and seeing as I know less than nothing about cars, I had a friend from work help me find and purchase one.
This friend is very knowledgable about cars and rebuilds them on the side, often buying totalled cars from auctions and putting them back together, then reselling on ebay.
So - this friend went and looked at about 4 jeeps that we found on craigslist and passed them all up for various mechancial reasons (slipping transmission etc.). Then, the night before I had to have a jeep in hand for my surprise to work, he suddenly had a friend of a friend that had a 99 Wrangler with 71k miles on it for a very good price. The friend hadn't yet posted it on craigslist, so there was no ad for me to see. He went to look at it and bought it on the spot for me. The next day, on his way to deliver it to me it had a "minor problem" (I forgot what) and he stopped off at his mechanic friends to have him fix it "real quick" - then he said in doing that they found some corrosion on the battery and in cleaning that up the friend shocked himself and then the mileage started reading some weird error code. He said that was also a simple fix that his friend would take care of at no charge because he thinks he caused it in messing with the battery. He delivers the jeep to me that same night with the error code on the odometer and i have it for one day when the fan belt, bracket and pulley break. He fixes that for me, and at the same time the new instrument cluster came in and he replaced that. Finally, I have my Jeep, in working order.

Tonight i happened to find him on ebay and see that on the same day, at roughly the same time that his friend shocked himself and the error code came on, that he bought an instrument cluster with 70k miles on it.

Question (finally) - is this highly suspicious that he said the Jeep had 70k miles on it and that I never saw the odometer until after he bought and installed a new instrument panel that ALSO had around 70k miles on it??

If so...do I confront him? Is there any way to determine how many miles are actually on this thing?? I hate to be so suspicious because I do consider this guy a friend...it just strikes me as strange and I could use a little expert advice...

Sorry - that "i'll try to be brief" statement didn't really work out

newaroundhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

What does the title of the vehicle say? Has it been branded as salvaged or mileage discrepancy?
Unread 07-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

What kinda friend is that????? Sounds like scammed the hell outa you. 70,000 miles and all those issues... did he buy a computer too? I was under the impression the computer is where the milage was stored on?
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM   #4
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

carfax will have total mileage
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
newaroundhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
carfax will have total mileage
Just ran the Carfax report and it lists 39k in 2002. No reports of odometer issues reported, but also very little information came up.

I should add that I was told the vehicle was the sellers fathers and had been sitting for quite some time. The seller offered to pay for any repairs it needed in the first few weeks because the sale was "among friends".
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
newaroundhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1289 View Post
What does the title of the vehicle say? Has it been branded as salvaged or mileage discrepancy?
Does it make sense that my husband took it to the SS office and now in the envelope where the title used to be there is only an "application for Michigan Vehicle Title" -- do they take the one you bring in?

Either way, I did read the title from top to bottom when I got it and I think if it said something like you asked about I'd have noticed it then.
Unread 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaroundhere View Post
Does it make sense that my husband took it to the SS office and now in the envelope where the title used to be there is only an "application for Michigan Vehicle Title" -- do they take the one you bring in?

Either way, I did read the title from top to bottom when I got it and I think if it said something like you asked about I'd have noticed it then.
Yes, when you take the title with the seller's name printed on it and signed over to you to the Michigan SOS, they take that title and print a doc with the header "application for Michigan vehicle title" and give that to you. You will receive the normal green title with your and/or his name on it in the mail in 14 days or so.

If the title was green in color, it's not a salvage. Salavage or rebuilds in Michigan have orange titles. Read more here: http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7...6323--,00.html

When a vehicle it over 10 years old, the odometer isn't always recorded in Michigan either; don't be surprised if the new title sent to you doesn't list the mileage. If the cluster is replaced with one with different mileage, there's supposed to be a sticker in the door frame that says as much. That doesn't always happen.

As far as I know, the mileage is recorded in the cluster and PCM seperately. I believe a scan tool (from a dealer) would be needed to read it from the PCM. It would be helpful to know what the error was on the odo display.

I would hope that your friend is being honest about what you bought. However, the mere fact that you are suspicious of his actions speaks volumes alone. I find it strange that he bought something without you seeing first, unless you had that agreement already. (I.e.; He already had your permission to buy something for you unseen.)

Good luck.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
JLITTY
1946 CJ2A 

Only 30k in 10 years.... possible I guess maybe a summer ride only. Any rust under it?
JLITTY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I've seen a 94 grand cherokee that had only 34 thousand on it on Ebay recently, if that makes you feel any better. If the seller seems to be upfront about most the info and the vehicle isn't bead to hell it should be ok
Unread 07-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newaroundhere View Post

Question (finally) - is this highly suspicious that he said the Jeep had 70k miles on it and that I never saw the odometer until after he bought and installed a new instrument panel that ALSO had around 70k miles on it??
70,000 miles on a 99. = 13 years old ~5,384 drove miles per year.

My Jeep 130,000 miles on a 91. 21 year old ~6,190 drove per year.

70K on a '99 year model, possible.

Side note, People get screwed over all the time.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I've seen a 94 grand cherokee that had only 34 thousand on it on Ebay recently, if that makes you feel any better. If the seller seems to be upfront about most the info and the vehicle isn't bead to hell it should be ok

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.