Lifetime Warranty? - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
MrMundo
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 3
Lifetime Warranty?

I just got bad news and worse news.

I hope I am not the only one who did not know that a 60 day window exists to complete you lifetime inspection at the 5 year mark or you LOOSE you lifetime power-train warranty. That means 5 years after purchase of the vehicle you have a 60 day window. Needless to say the salesperson, the service staff and anyone else who looked at my car within the last 5 years neglected to inform me about any 60 day window. It so happens I received a friendly reminder in yesterday's mail, which also did not indicate a 60 day window, so I called my dealer to schedule the inspection today and hears the kicker, and the worst news.... I am 8 days outside the window and Chrysler VOIDED; yes VOIDED, my LIFETIME warranty.

That's it done. Nothing else. Bye, thanks for calling.

BTW my vehicle will pass the inspection.

Consider this a warning.

Does anybody else see a problem with this?

MrMundo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
joeydominick
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: lATROBE
Posts: 676
Do you think this warranty was good, worth it? Im just asking because there are a few dealers around here that Im looking at when I go to get my next Jeep ( I have the treadlightly discount) but 1 specific dealer still offers the lifetime warranty. So if I go there Id get that, but on the other hand I am thinking I might be able to negotiate with that against the other dealers.
joeydominick is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 04:57 PM
GhostTownRubi
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 57
There is a huge problem if they did not properly notify you. But, I am confused about this inspection issue? I just bought my '13 Rubicon JKU today with a life-time warranty. I have seen a few posts on here about this 5 year inspection and asked the person who handles the dealership's warranties. I asked them specifically that I had heard there is a 5 year inspection of the vehicle to keep the life-time warranty in effect, and if I would be notified when that happens. The person looked at me like I was crazy and said they had never heard of 5 year inspections and that as long as I own the vehicle, the warranty is good! I was told that the warranty is not transferable and if I sell the vehicle the warranty goes away. I purchased it because I plan to have this Jeep until they plant me.

What's the real story here?

Hey, let's go poke sticks at that!
GhostTownRubi is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM
Jason
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eaton Rapids
Posts: 6,565
OP, did you buy new, or used?

"Ugly Betty" Build - 97 TJ 5.9 Magnum / 46RE Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 AM
IRSmart
Registered User
2015 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Westminster
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
OP, did you buy new, or used?
lifetime warranty was non-transferrable, so he would have had to get it new. i can't remember exactly, but i thought we had to have people sign an aknowledgement form about the lifetime warranty, explaining that it had to be inspected every 5 years.

call chrysler and see if they'll give you an extension. either tell them the dealer didn't explain the situation and you got your reminder too late, or make something up like you were out of the country or something. they may make an exception.
IRSmart is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM
hal2814
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Euless
Posts: 289
The 5 year inspection was mentioned by the dealer when we bought our 2007 Jeep Commander. It was also in the warranty paperwork and was a question on their FAQ regarding the warranty. (Here's a copy of the original FAQ.) We got that letter from Chrysler around the beginning of our inspection window, but already had the inspection scheduled. I personally think this is just a semi-slimy way for them to back out of some warranty coverage, but I do feel that the warranty paperwork was sufficiently up front about it. I'm sorry to hear that you were unaware. Have you tried contacting Chrysler directly about it (especially since your mailer came late)?
hal2814 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTownRubi View Post
There is a huge problem if they did not properly notify you. But, I am confused about this inspection issue? I just bought my '13 Rubicon JKU today with a life-time warranty. I have seen a few posts on here about this 5 year inspection and asked the person who handles the dealership's warranties. I asked them specifically that I had heard there is a 5 year inspection of the vehicle to keep the life-time warranty in effect, and if I would be notified when that happens. The person looked at me like I was crazy and said they had never heard of 5 year inspections and that as long as I own the vehicle, the warranty is good! I was told that the warranty is not transferable and if I sell the vehicle the warranty goes away. I purchased it because I plan to have this Jeep until they plant me.

What's the real story here?
Who backs this "life-time warranty?" It's not a Chrysler warranty. It might be some kind of service contract.
JeepCares is online now  
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM
GhostTownRubi
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Who backs this "life-time warranty?" It's not a Chrysler warranty. It might be some kind of service contract.
It was the Chrysler life-time warranty that I purchased. The paperwork specifically documents that. I have no problem with a 5 year inspection, I keep my vehicles maintained. But, I am going to take a huge leap here and say the person the dealer has taking care of the paperwork was the wrong person to ask.

Hey, let's go poke sticks at that!
GhostTownRubi is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM
hal2814
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Euless
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Who backs this "life-time warranty?" It's not a Chrysler warranty. It might be some kind of service contract.
Yes it is. Maybe my link to chrysler.com wasn't authoritative enough for you but it is the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and it was available on 2007 - 2009 MY vehicles.
hal2814 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Yes it is. Maybe my link to chrysler.com wasn't authoritative enough for you but it is the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty and it was available on 2007 - 2009 MY vehicles.
I quoted a post by GhostTownRubi - my comment was addressed to GhostTownRubi, not you.
JeepCares is online now  
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 11:03 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTownRubi View Post
It was the Chrysler life-time warranty that I purchased. The paperwork specifically documents that. I have no problem with a 5 year inspection, I keep my vehicles maintained. But, I am going to take a huge leap here and say the person the dealer has taking care of the paperwork was the wrong person to ask.
TO GhostTownRubi:

Chrysler is not providing a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty (or any tyoe of lifetime warranty) on 2013 vehicles. The Chrysler warranty comes with the vehicle purchase - it is not extra.

It sounds like you purchased a New Vehicle Service Contract (Mopar Vehicle Protection.) If so, it does not require an inspection every 5 years.
Chrysler (Mopar) offers Lifetime Plans called "Powertrain Care", "Added Care Plus" and "Maximum Care."

Other companies also sell similar products. I do not know whether or not any of the other companies require an inspection.
JeepCares is online now  
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2013, 12:44 PM
GhostTownRubi
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Piedmont
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
TO GhostTownRubi:

Chrysler is not providing a Lifetime Powertrain Warranty (or any tyoe of lifetime warranty) on 2013 vehicles. The Chrysler warranty comes with the vehicle purchase - it is not extra.

It sounds like you purchased a New Vehicle Service Contract (Mopar Vehicle Protection.) If so, it does not require an inspection every 5 years.
Chrysler (Mopar) offers Lifetime Plans called "Powertrain Care", "Added Care Plus" and "Maximum Care."

Other companies also sell similar products. I do not know whether or not any of the other companies require an inspection.
OK, my bad. Thanks for clearing that up. That is exactly what it is. I appreciate you patience.

Hey, let's go poke sticks at that!
GhostTownRubi is offline  
Reply

Tags
chrysler , service , warranty , warranty coverage , warranty questions

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome