JK or TJ Rubicon? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > JK or TJ Rubicon?

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #1
Mastiff

JK or TJ Rubicon?

My 98 TJ is totaled, so now I need something else. I'm going between a 2-door TJ Rubicon or a new 2-door JK Rubicon. What would you choose?

My old TJ had a 1.75" puck lift just to clear 31" tires. I did very occasional mild off-roading only, mostly daily driving. But I simply like stuff that is cool, and I want to keep my options open. I always envied the Rubicon for the non-slip yoke T-case because I got vibes on the TJ even with the mild lift.

I'm surprised at the price of the TJ Rubicons. I'm seeing $17K+, which isn't much discount from a new JK really.

I like the in-line 6 on the TJ and am apprehensive about the minivan V6 in the JK. I could change the oil from above on the TJ. I also like things to be spartan and durable. I had my TJ line-x'd on the inside and it got rained on with the top off many times with no ill effects. Will a JK operate that way?

Thanks for any input.

Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

until the JK's have some time under there belt and have proven to be as hearty as the TJ's i will be partial to the TJs. I just like the fact that the TJ is a well proven design along with the straight six. if it were me i would find a TJ in excellent condition and not think twice about it.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:37 PM   #3
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

After owning my TJ Rubicon for right at a year and just looking at the JK Rubicon, I prefer the looks and interior feel of the TJ. The very high back rear seats look like they would obstruct rear view, although they probly do provide rear passenger safety.

I don't like the plastic front fender thing, the cloth materials and the smallish buttons on the center stack.

My only regret with buying my TJ was not buying an Unlimited. I REALLY need the extra space behind the back seat!
Unread 12-19-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
until the JK's have some time under there belt and have proven to be as hearty as the TJ's .....
I just like the fact that the TJ is a well proven design along with the straight six......
Wow, you guys still exist? The CJ guys who said YJ's aren't real Jeeps are gone, tha YJ guys who thought the TJ was a wimpy street car are gone...
The TJ guys who thinks JKs are less capable will disappear, too.

It shouldn't take as long as it has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff
......I'm surprised at the price of the TJ Rubicons. I'm seeing $17K+, which isn't much discount from a new JK really.....
WHAT??!!! JK Rubis are $30k+

Anyway.. my vote... JK.
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #5
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Kyle Deidrick]until the JK's have some time under there belt and have proven to be as hearty as the TJ's i will be partial to the TJs. I just like the fact that the TJ is a well proven design along with the straight six. if it were me i would find a TJ in excellent condition and not think twice about it.

-Kyle[/QUOTE
agreed
newtjrjrjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtjrjrjr
.....agreed
No offense, but you're driving a YJ. How long will you be waiting to see if TJ's will "prove themselves"?
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 09:49 PM   #7
default_user
It's a Roobicon

I had the same dilema...I just prefer the TJ so that's what I went with.
default_user is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
No offense, but you're driving a YJ. How long will you be waiting to see if TJ's will "prove themselves"?
just because hes driving a YJ doesn't mean that he is against TJ's, heck if i could afford it i would be driving a number of different jeeps but i cant afford it so i will be sticking with what i have.

now to the point, when jeep put out the new JK they completely rid themselves of the 4.0 I6 which has been jeeps flagship motor for a many number of years. the convert to this v6 which as i stated "i" would give it some more time to prove itself. we jeep owners are so used to the long lasting effect of the I6 that we may find ourselves disappointed with the new v6.

so again i say "i" would wait for it to prove itself, you can go and do what you want.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
newtjrjrjr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
just because i drive a yj doesn't mean i don't want to get a tj. Springs are much easier and cheaper to work on than coils, and my jeep was a steal for the price. I don't need to see the tj's proove themselves, i just can't afford one. I have driven and been fourwheeling in several tj's, and they are an all around better jeep in my opinion
newtjrjrjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
jeepross
1993 YJ Wrangler 

a lot of the Jeep owners have vehicles that they have acquired due to happenstance, right Jeep at the right price, aquired from family member, so on and so forth, and fix it up as they go along, although I own a great YJ, I too love the TJ Rubicon, just not in the budget right now, and I do not want to get rid of my awesome YJ. Everyone of the Jeep models that is on this forum are great in thier own way, although debating the attributes of specific models is a subject favorite.
jeepross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Delta9
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I prefer the TJ for myself/offroading. If I had enough money I would buy my fiance a JK so I could use it every once in a while and while driving the family around town.
Delta9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I've owned an 89 wrangler 6cyl 5spd soft top, 99 wrangler 6cyl a/t dual tops and now have an '07 4dr. sahara soft top a/t. The difference in ride and comfort are unbelievable. The soft top on the '07 is quieter than the hard top on the 99 even at freeway speeds. The '07 gets way better gas mileage than either of the others. 17-19 around town and 21-23 freeway. I have the 4.10 gears which puts the engine in a better power range on the freeway than the 3.73 or 3.21 gears. Offroading my JK is every bit as capable as either of the ones I used to own...EXCEPT... it is wider and tends to scrape the bushes, rocks or whatever. Have not found a place it is too wide to go thru yet but am sure I will at some point. the "minivan" motor has been brutalized by soccer moms for years so it must be reliable.

There you have it! My $.02
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.