jeep yj 1990 4.2l - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > jeep yj 1990 4.2l

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Headlight AssembliesThe Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!

Unread 01-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
ateateate123

jeep yj 1990 4.2l

Hi can i get some help.for how much is fair to sell my jeep it has 188k and runs good everything is fine.
My jeep YJ has:
new radiator
rebuild carb
new rebuild transmission and clutch
new brakes
good 235 tires (still in really good shape)
new sony radio and polk speakers
new engine mounts
kc lights ( you need to install it i didnt have time)
new hoses everywhere
passed smog test in CA
the body is in good shape no rust!
no salvage title
4x4 works great!
HOW MUCH CAN I GET FOR MY JEEP! IS RUNNING GOOD!

I live in torrance, Ca.
thanks

ateateate123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

it really is going to depend on the area you live... your jeep will probably go cheaper than what it would over here in Michigan since we all would pay a good amount for a rust free body and frame.

I would suggest looking at kbb.com and also autotrader and ebay to see what similiar jeeps are selling for.
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I bought my 1990 9 years ago for 1200 bucks....

if had both tops, hard and soft, everything worked, 2 sets of doors, fresh set of 31s, and a carbed 4.2 with a 5 gear

the biggest turn OFF for ppl is its is carbed.... not many younger folk even know what a carb IS... let alone wanna try and learn one... and you in CAli, so you have emissions.... that is worse, cnat even swap it for a easier weber or something...

anhow good luck

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If the Jeep is in pretty good condition, you could start the asking price around $3200 or so. However that is a bit of a highball price, so don't expect to get that much for it unless it is REALLY clean, and the interested party really wants it, and/or they don't realize how much of a turd the Carter BBD is, and that it is the only street legal carb for the 1990 YJ. The high mileage and the carb are the two things that are going to affect the price, for a knowledgeable buyer.

If the market is thin for Wranglers in your area, people may be willing to pay more. The more flooded the market is, the more options they have, and the more likely they will try to get one for less. I paid $3500 for mine 2 years ago, with ~150k on it (supposed rebuild by PPO at ~100k), with the 4.2L/Carter BBD (didn't know the Carter was a turd, but it ran well and passed smog), small shackle lift, everything else pretty much stock. Jeeps were not aplenty at the time I was searching, I really liked the Jeep, it was the style I wanted, so I was willing to pay pretty close to the asking price in order to get it. I had been looking for months and had already missed out on a few opportunities.

Ultimately, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. One person may not want to pay much at all, others may be willing to pay more. List the price high, but state that the price is negotiable, and expect some haggling it it being sold for less than the listed price. In the end, you have to set a low end price for yourself that you aren't willing to go below.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #5
ejeeperguy
1982 CJ7 

First, pictures help.Second ,what's wrong with it,and not so much what is good with it.That will be some of the first questions someone is going to ask.
ejeeperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
JimWilliamson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Purchased a 90 YJ last summer - $3000 (Colorado), 150,000 miles
4.2 with MPFI conversion
35" tires (like new - PO said sub 200 miles on them)
Suspension lift, body lift
4:56 gears
Teralow 4:1
Magnaflow
Working ARB in the front (broken ARB in the rear)
D44 rear axle
Disc brake conversion for the rear
Manual lockout conversion to the front axle
Full / forward addition to the roll cage
Full interior bedliner
Seats in reasonable condition
Soft top in poor condition
Fluids changed throughout
Body armor
Body in reasonable shape (at least for rust - just minor dings and paint issues w/ repaint)

Buyer started asking @ 4K

FWIW

Edit: Also reinforces the issue that mod's don't necessarily increase the resale price.
JimWilliamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Plato2k5
1988 YJ Wrangler 

see this is why i said depends on location... I bought my 88 for 5k....
Plato2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #8
Atticus
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd check Craig's list for comparisons. I looked around quite a bit this past Summer, before plopping down 4K for my 1990 YJ. When people really see a lot of those 22 year old $2K and $3K Jeeps in person, they might be willing to pay a little more for a well maintained and/or modified one...at least in the Midwest. Not sure about Cali.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeep yj , jeeps , jeepster , sell , selling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.