Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for light farm work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for light farm work?

WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation PackagesRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Steinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
cmbergen

Jeep Wrangler Unlimited for light farm work?

Does anyone use the jeep wrangler unlimited for light farm work??? I have a small horse farm and the UTV my husband got for me Ė I canít reach gas and break without sitting on the very edge of the seat. So driving that anyplace off road is not the smart thing to do. Iím not sure if we should get a Bobcat or a Jeep. A Jeep I can also use to go to stores & give my minivan a rest so that is why Iím thinking about the Jeep and I think it would prob plow the driveway better. I would need it to pull the arena drag, manure spreader and plow the driveway in a NY winter. Thanks for any input!

cmbergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I don't see why it wouldn't work, you just have to stay within it's capabilities so far as towing and payload. It's certainly not a farm truck. I remember pushing round bales from the top of the stack into the bed of a truck to get them out to the pasture; you won't be able to do that with a Wrangler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
1shotwonder
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sure you can.. I use my jeep along with 2 other jeeps (non are the unlimited's) when working on a local tree farm. I haul around the tree bailers and one of the wagons. Not to mention the crew.. I've already fit 6 other people in the jeep. Tight squeeze, and when you're only going a few miles (non on paved roads, it surely beats walking)
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Jason
Sarcastic Genius

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shotwonder View Post
it surely beats walking
Or bouncing around in the bed of a pickup....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
cmbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't work, you just have to stay within it's capabilities so far as towing and payload. It's certainly not a farm truck. I remember pushing round bales from the top of the stack into the bed of a truck to get them out to the pasture; you won't be able to do that with a Wrangler.
Thanks! I'm not doing anything like that. I use my F250 for that. I need to drag the riding arena, pull the manure spreader and plow the driveway. The pick up is to big for that. Except the plowing part, but with the extra long bed it's really not good for the plow. Can't make the tight areas. Just light stuff. Things you need a UTV or small tractor for.
Unread 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
cmbergen

The reason I was thinking of the Unlimited was car seats. getting the kids in and out of the smaller Jeep will be a challenge. My hubby pointed out I don't take them when i'm working and I can just use it for road driving when I don't have the kids with me. The unlimited might be to big to drag the arena anyway.
Unread 04-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
JeffreyCharles
1976 CJ5 

Chiming in way late on this thread. I use my CJ to drag an arena all the time. Works great. And I've been looking at a nifty implement that mounts in a 2" receiver and allows one to pull a 3-point hitch (category 0 or 1, not heavy duty stuff) with hydraulics to raise and lower, etc. Perfect for pulling drags, a box blade, etc. See here: http://t-pointlift.com/T-Point-Lift-...int-Hitch.html
Unread 12-22-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
Yalumba82
2005 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Unlimited for Farm Work

Further to cmbergen's query, has anyone adapted their Jeep Unlimited for farming, and what exactly does one need? I have a Jeep Unlimited 2005 4L 6 spd manual. What coupling device do I need, what devices can I link up and what are the limits to what I can do? Ideally, I'd like to be able to till & plough - prepare a virgin, canary-grass-covered acreage for cultivation. Hey, if it's capable of running haying devices that would be good - though I guess I'm stretching it there .
Thanks for any insights!
Yalumba82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

back in the days of the Cj2a with the PTO option there was a lot of "farm" things sold for it. Look up old adds from the 40"s. What you can get the Lj to do will be totally custom. What it may do then is up to you to engineer and fabricate. Or you might find someone that could? If you think about the weight of it, not like it can not pull a plow but it wont pull a 8 foot set of disks as well.

How it hooks up to what? what ever you buy it would have to be adapted. Be it a pintle hook what ever. Jeeps used a PTO to drive the wheels on the device or power the device, be it post hole digger what ever. About as Rube Goldberg as it gets
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've got both. Don't try to make either one of them something that they aren't. My dump Club Car does fence line work like spraying and repair. Very good for tight trees/brush. The jeep pulls a light trailer and picks up feed in town. I have a tractor to bush-hog and to plow with.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Back when I was coaching high school softball, the Gator I used to drag the field crapped out on me right before a game, so I hooked the drag up behind my TJ. It worked better than I thought it would.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
papitt
1995 ZJ 

... OK Some of you want like my answers while others will think it's cool.. But here goes..
Yes I think you'll be just fine if you get the right jeep. WHY .... Because ..
... I live in Texas I have 2 Broncos one is a 1980 300 cid 6 cyl 4 speed NP435 with 3:55's P/Trac and 33's . It has worked on the ranch for 300,000 miles. It is retired and worn about out . But the grand kids crank it at times an give it a run over the farm hunting.
... Now my current Bronco is a 1972 half cab. I've put a 4BT Cummins Diesel into it. 4speed NP435 dana's P/Trac front & rear ..16's equal to about 34's .. I have a hand throttle on it also. I planted my oats .. wheat .. & rye this year with it . That planter is a 12 foot wide . One of the fields was about 5 ac and very sandy. The old 1980 had a little trouble not overheating in this field in the past but the diesel. Just purred like a kitten in the sand. That hand throttle allowed me to just lean back an cruise at about 5 + mph.. AND the bronco replacement seat .. radio .. & a beer in my hand .& a friend setting beside me made planting much more pleasant than in one of my big tractors.
... A jeep will have no issue pulling an Arena Drag. I pull a 16 foot chain link Gate . Looking devise to break up cow piles in my coastal hay fields. And I also use the Bronco to pull my hay rakes .. Some of you may ask why I don't use my tractors .. They just cost too much to repair when they go down. ''And because I can.'' I guess at 64 I might be a little eccentric. I still like to Drive my Bronco & Jeep toys . drink Beer until midnight . Night hunt .Pat a pretty Girl on the back side. & do things that will amaze my grand sons.
.... Get a jeep with a big enough motor, not 35' tires.. smaller.. postive trac axles .. this will cost you and I'm no expert on jeep axles .. No more lift than needed to clear the tires. Keep it low so you can use it.. I'LL catch hell on that statement .. a Huge Radiator. an added cooling fan.. Add a hand throttle ..only about $30.00... I think you'll learn to love what you can do with a Jeep .. If I don't respond back to you I'm always over in the ZJ section .. I forgot I was looking around ..
... I guess the I'm talking about the Plain Wrangler .. But I think the unlimited will work other than the turning radius
papitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.