Jeep TJ upgrade to JK?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep TJ upgrade to JK??

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Habber

Jeep TJ upgrade to JK??

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a 2001 TJ and I'm having fun with it but I am wondering if I should get a JK and upgrade. I'm not looking at anything new but what do you guys think? Are they just as easy to customize?

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

Is there anything specific the JK has that you want, or just want a newer vehicle? The down payment on a new one could probably add whatever you want to your TJ. Assuming you are making a decent down payment to keep the payments under control, and don't intend to finance for 72 months or something crazy like that.

I've seen several people with TJs post that they don't really care for a JK after test-driving. So, try that first. If you like it and still want to upgrade, pop into the JK forum and ask about customizations you're interested in over there. Someone has probably done it.
GCMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Habber

Thanks for the advice. Good point. Ill try one out first. Maybe it's just an itch to scratch.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Unread 06-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
GCMatt
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber View Post
Maybe it's just an itch to scratch.
I feel you on that. I don't NEED a JK, but I'm going to buy one anyway. Just offering the counter point of view, since I fight with myself almost every day on that decision. And probably will until I get the order in for the JK (waiting on Copperhead to open up) and hand the keys to my WJ to the friends that are buying it.

At least you are going from one generation of Wrangler to another, so it is easier for you to directly compare them.
GCMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with GCMatt, get behind the wheel and test drive one, after I did I decided to go with another TJ over the JK. Not hating on the JK it was nice, it reminded me of my older Grand Cherokee's but that was not what I was looking for. If I was buying it as my primary driver than I would have bought a 2012 or new JKU but I really do not want to wheel a $25k+ Jeep that I might have to take out to somewhere nice during the week. I also like the simplistic nature of the TJ's, I do not know if this makes sense or not buy I find the lack of power windows and locks charming on the TJ's but annoying on the JK and JKU's. It comes down to what you want it for and what you like. I am not regreting for a second my choice.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My wife had a JK for four years. Then she wined enought that I traded it for a TJ. It all come down to personal prefference. I honestly believe that if she'd had a two door with the Pentastar engine she would have been ok. But, the '08 4 door was a pig...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
jrbrannan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
My wife had a JK for four years. Then she wined enought that I traded it for a TJ. It all come down to personal prefference. I honestly believe that if she'd had a two door with the Pentastar engine she would have been ok. But, the '08 4 door was a pig...
I had a 08 4 door as well, and I agree the thing was a pig, even with stock tires and 3.73 gears, maybe that skews my thinking a bit.
jrbrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Habber

I do love the simplistic nature of the TJ. I also love the fact that I don't care enough if I put scratches in it either since after all its my second car. I think I would start to care if I had a newer Jeep so with that in mind, I think I'll stick with my 2001.

Jeep TJ 2001 4.0 5MT
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
dualtjs
2011 JK Wrangler 

I went from a 98 TJ, that I loved, to a JKU that has me grinning, every time that I get into it. It's really a matter of preference. I personally think that the JK has a smoother ride while still feeling like a Jeep.
dualtjs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.