Jeep shopping. Cherokee vs TJ/YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep shopping. Cherokee vs TJ/YJ

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 11-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
denverd1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep shopping. Cherokee vs TJ/YJ

Hey Jeepers! Howdy from East Texas.

Got the jeep bug looking for a capable ATV for the deer lease. Down in Texas, ATVs hold their value pretty welll. And they get REALLY abused. Not uncommon to see a snorkel and radiator mods on them cuz they bury the thing and mud will cake the radiator. But, they don't have heaters, passenger seats or any other creature comforts that a jeep provides. Plus getting wet and muddy is fun but I'd much rather wheel around in something with doors and have room for the girl or a few friends. Particularly if I can get a decent jeep for the same (or less) than a capable beat-to-**** ATV.

So! I'm looking to spend about 3-5000 and there are tons of great jeeps for sale locally, some even have mild lifts and tires already on them. A few even have steel bumpers and skid plates.

Cherokee vs TJ/YJ? I'm thinking cherokee because it will be warmer than a TJ type for Nov/Dec/Jan hunting. Most also have 4 seats which would be good for riding around the lease.

What gets around in the mud and hill climbs fairly well? I think long wheel base is better for this? No rocks to speak of or any real rock terain around here, so having 4' of articulation isn't ever gonna be in the plans. But I'd like it to be capable around the mud/ATV park and obviously be more than capable around the deer lease. I now realize this is an addiction like anything else, but current target plans are for max 4" of lift and bigger mud grips. Locking diff. other than that, I'm wet behind the ears. I'd consider myself mechanically inclined having rebuilt the top end of a 351W for my boat so I'll be doing all mods myself.

Got a blank slate here, so point me in the right direction!

thx in advance

denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My Choice would be a 4.0 YJ. '91-95

If you can afford a TJ sure go for it.

Dont get a 4cyl unless you just want to complain about it later.

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you have already answered your own question. If you need room for 4, and want a weather tight cabin with creature comforts, the a Wrangler is not for you, XJ Cherokee it is.

Both can be made to handle off-road.
Unread 11-17-2011, 02:34 PM   #4
Poop3000
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i love my xj cherokee, and it has done everything asked of it for 13 years, with abundant enthusiasm. although i have lots of extra goodies for mine (it's for sale), you won't have too much problem finding a lifted xj for sale in your price range, if you don't mind a little wear and tear and aren't looking for too many extras.

have fun!
Poop3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee , mud , newbie , tj , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.