Jeep Reliability ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep Reliability ?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-19-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
kito2211

Jeep Reliability ?

I was told by my friend today that Jeep and Reliability shouldn't be used in the same breath...

I was looking at 4runners, but found them extremely expensive for what I want. I see jeep prices are much more reasonable, but keep hearing things that REALLY scare me about jeeps reliability. I live in Mexico part time and need something that can get me back and forth across the USA then down to central Mexico and back without having to stop at several mechanic shops along the way.

I want to spend about 5K and have a ready to go vehicle. I don't care if it is the prettiest thing in the world as long as it gets me where I want to go. Should I consider a jeep? and if so, which one?

kito2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Adam013085

With that budget you are looking at an older used vehicle. What kind of Jeep are you looking at? Wrangler, cherokee, grand cherokee, liberty? With that budget you are going to find high mileage jeeps, which will be reliable, but also remember it is a used jeep so it will probably have more issues than a newer one. This is the same with any vehicle, not necessarly Jeeps. It sounds like your friend has no idea about Jeep's reliability and is talking out of their *** honestly.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like your friend is an idiot....for 5k you will be hard pressed to find something guaranteed to be "reliable", of any make/model....

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
TurtleTamer
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I got my 97 wrangler for 3200 and it has yet to let me down. And it unfortunately takes a fair amount of abuse. I've driven it from Minnesota to Colorado and back and it's my daily driver. We also have a CJ7 approaching 350,000 miles. Same engine, tranny, everything. The speedometer is the only gauge that still works because it was rolled down a mountain but it's still kicking. I think American cars just get a bad wrap. And the other thing to consider, depending on the model, is the availability of parts. Jeeps are easy to work on and I can't think of a single part you'd be hard pressed to find. Good luck!
Unread 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Dluenz
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a 93 grand cherokee for $600 with 230k on it and i drove it over 20,000 more miles and NEVER put a dime into it except aftermarket stuff like a lift and tire and oil. Most reliable vehicle ive ever came across.
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
JuraianKnight

Hello, guys.

I too was curious about Jeep reliability. I've currently got an '02 Chevy Tracker ZR2 that is getting harder and harder to find parts for and have been considering my alternatives.

I've always liked the aesthetics of Jeeps (especially the Wrangler models) and was considering a new one as a replacement for my ailing Tracker. I've never gone off-road (at least voluntarily ) just used it as an all-around vehicle that can get me from points A to B. But I like the feel of it. Not a hulking monster that sits 3 or more feet off the ground, but also not something that's going to get stuck in the snow or stall out in flooded roadways like so many other cars will do around these parts. That is why I was looking at the Jeep Wranglers as a replacement.

During my (re)search I came across this entry and now, like the OP, I'm .... hesitant ... about choosing a Jeep.

Can anyone elaborate more on your Jeep experiences? WHY did this site only give them a 2/5 rating on reliability? Do you (as a Jeep owner) find that rating accurate or could it just be that they don't like Jeeps?

Sorry .... I guess I have more questions than answers right now.

Thanks for any info., input, or opinions!

Garrett
JuraianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a Honda or Toyota, buy one.

Overall, Jeeps are not as reliable as Japanese cars, but they are certainly more capable in severe weather or off-road. Reliability is mostly related to maintenance by the owner, but there are a few common Jeep engineering issues that you can research and be ready to deal with. I carry a few strategic spare parts whose failure will leave you stranded, and some basic hand tools at all times.

I have a 2000 XJ Cherokee that has been flawless for 100,000 miles. The only unscheduled maintenance was a failed alternator which I replaced with a used Jeep alternator from the junkyard, and a blower motor resistor. I also have a 98 XJ Cherokee with 189,000+ miles and in the two years I have owned the Jeep it has only needed a Crankshaft Position Sensor, and replacement of the original alternator, both of which which I consider routine maintenance.

Naturally, a used vehicle with an unknown maintenance history may have a few issues that need to be addressed, but once you have all the maintenance up to date, it should be nearly as reliable as any other vehicle with similar age/mileage.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #8
thunderdan2000
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have had Honda's, Chevys, Fords, Mitsubishi, and now Jeeps. They all have there ups and downs. One thing I have to say about my Jeeps is when something does go wrong it is usually a quick fix I can do in my driveway or side of the road if needed. My foreign cars were not as simple.

I just sold my 97 XJ (cherokee) that I bought with 190k miles 6 years ago as a winter beater. It wouldn't die. I got a Wrangler and sold to a guy that is driving it now with well over 200k.

Research common problems on whatever model you are looking at and keep that in mind when you purchase it. Like anything, the more you know the better prepared you will be.
thunderdan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Grogie27

Toyotas and jeeps are equals in my book.
Grogie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
StaticFX

Tonight I am picking up my 4th new jeep.

order of cars I have had (starting at the first jeep)

1st was Cherokee Sport
2nd Grand Cherokee (dont remember the model)
> Acrua MDX
> Honda Pilot
3rd Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4
4th Grand Cherokee Limited (picking it up tonight at 5 oclock!!! so cant say yet lol)

I have to say, we have had the least problems with the Jeeps. We had a recall on the 2nd jeep.... and my current (Laredo) had the Electronic Throttle Control light come on once for 2 seconds.... lol.. but thats basically it.
StaticFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #11
airborne_jeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, so I have the same question but for an 06 WK Overland. It's approaching 100,000. Wondering if anyone has had one of these for an extended period of time, and if parts are fairly easy to find. I understand not as much as XJs, but trying to help my bro in law out and take it off his hands while also looking to fill in for my family/dd vehicle that would do me some good while I move to Alaska (military). Anybody have some input for me?
airborne_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 01:01 AM   #12
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

I am wondering about the Patriot's reliability. Any issues with overheating or blown head gaskets and manafold gaskets like the equinox?
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
trailboss
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps have *always* gotten banged up on the "Comfort & Reliability" categories of those "consumer reports" type evaluations! Always...And it seems that any single little thing that goes wrong: a loosened nut here, a flapping whatever there, seems to drop the scores in those categories significantly! Now, I am speaking about the traditional, ubiquitous 2-door CJ/Wrangler Jeep vehicles. I am on my 8th! Never ran any of the "family" type Jeep SUV's: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, etc. Previous to my current '02 TJ, I have had 3 CJ's and 4 Wranglers. In between I have run a few "cars": Toyota, Mustang, Caprice...I have *NEVER* had *ANY* major problems with *ANY* of my Jeeps! NONE! None that weren't caused, directly or indirectly, by me! For example, the frame rusting out on my 98 Sahara...my fault, and could have been prevented! I certainly would not blame Jeep for the issue...I just think that those review folks at Consumer Reports or wherever were not what I would call "Jeep Folk"! They seem to *want* to find something wrong with 'em, no matter how little there may be....and opinions do vary! I would *never* hesitate to recommend a Jeep to *anyone*! Just have to make sure that the person considering that type of vehicle *knows* what they are getting into! It's not a car! Comfort is not the primary goal. Reliability is as good, or better, then anything else you find out on the road. And every barrel of apples has a rotten one in it somewhere! Can you unwittingly buy one that has more problems then usual, due to assembly line failure, poor quality parts batch, etc....? Yes. Does that condemn the whole line? To some people: Yes!! And some of those people write articles and have big mouths....lol. Bottom line is: you have to *want* this type of vehicle and you have to *know* what you are getting into...Personally, I have found that if someone has to question whether they should get a Jeep, they probably should not get a Jeep! But, that's just me.....

An educated, armed populace cannot be enslaved.
trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #14
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Engine and drive train are usually reliable on Jeep vehicles but everything else is cheap crap. I also own a 4Runner and it will match just about any stock Jeep off road sans Rubicon. But once you start adding on mods, the jeep runs away from the Toyota.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
fran55343

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailboss View Post
Jeeps have *always* gotten banged up on the "Comfort & Reliability" categories of those "consumer reports" type evaluations! Always...And it seems that any single little thing that goes wrong: a loosened nut here, a flapping whatever there, seems to drop the scores in those categories significantly! Now, I am speaking about the traditional, ubiquitous 2-door CJ/Wrangler Jeep vehicles. I am on my 8th! Never ran any of the "family" type Jeep SUV's: Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Liberty, etc. Previous to my current '02 TJ, I have had 3 CJ's and 4 Wranglers. In between I have run a few "cars": Toyota, Mustang, Caprice...I have *NEVER* had *ANY* major problems with *ANY* of my Jeeps! NONE! None that weren't caused, directly or indirectly, by me! For example, the frame rusting out on my 98 Sahara...my fault, and could have been prevented! I certainly would not blame Jeep for the issue...I just think that those review folks at Consumer Reports or wherever were not what I would call "Jeep Folk"! They seem to *want* to find something wrong with 'em, no matter how little there may be....and opinions do vary! I would *never* hesitate to recommend a Jeep to *anyone*! Just have to make sure that the person considering that type of vehicle *knows* what they are getting into! It's not a car! Comfort is not the primary goal. Reliability is as good, or better, then anything else you find out on the road. And every barrel of apples has a rotten one in it somewhere! Can you unwittingly buy one that has more problems then usual, due to assembly line failure, poor quality parts batch, etc....? Yes. Does that condemn the whole line? To some people: Yes!! And some of those people write articles and have big mouths....lol. Bottom line is: you have to *want* this type of vehicle and you have to *know* what you are getting into...Personally, I have found that if someone has to question whether they should get a Jeep, they probably should not get a Jeep! But, that's just me.....
Consumer Reports "reliability" ratings are created from responses by subscribers who own the vehicles and not by the magazine itself. Each year they send us(I'm a subscriber) the annual auto survey. We answer lots of questions on our current vehicles. This is where they get their "reliabilty" ratings. In addition, CR buys vehicles new and runs them through their test track and then gives their opinion on things like handling, mpg, safety features, accident avoidance, braking, acceleration, cost, etc.
fran55343 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.