Jeep Noob - Advice on a 99 Sahara? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep Noob - Advice on a 99 Sahara?

KrawlOff-Road.com now Carries Iron Rock Off Road!!!!!Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
lowcountry

Jeep Noob - Advice on a 99 Sahara?

I'm located in New Orleans and I'm looking to buy my first Wrangler. I've done a good bit of research (thanks JeepForum posters!) and I think the early TJ years would meet my needs.

I found a '99 Gold Sahara, soft top, 130k miles, manual (with the 4.0/6cy), 2 inch lift, Dana 35 rear end - it's in near-garage condition. There's a little surface rust underneath and a slight oil drip near the oil pan. There's some play in the wheel. Tires are relatively new.

The asking price is mid 9K. With LA taxes, that's going to be over a 10K purchase.

From everything I've read, 10+ year old jeeps are pretty hard to estimate. Plus, Jeeps in the area seem to be a little more rare than the NE, MidWest, Pacific, etc.

Does 10,500 feel like too much for this Jeep to you Jeep-sperts? Or am I being ridiculous?

lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
GreyBeard51
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a bit high in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post
I'm located in New Orleans and I'm looking to buy my first Wrangler. I've done a good bit of research (thanks JeepForum posters!) and I think the early TJ years would meet my needs.

I found a '99 Gold Sahara, soft top, 130k miles, manual (with the 4.0/6cy), 2 inch lift, Dana 35 rear end - it's in near-garage condition. There's a little surface rust underneath and a slight oil drip near the oil pan. There's some play in the wheel. Tires are relatively new.

The asking price is mid 9K. With LA taxes, that's going to be over a 10K purchase.

From everything I've read, 10+ year old jeeps are pretty hard to estimate. Plus, Jeeps in the area seem to be a little more rare than the NE, MidWest, Pacific, etc.

Does 10,500 feel like too much for this Jeep to you Jeep-sperts? Or am I being ridiculous?
I just helped my bro-in-law find a Jeep. He passed up a real nice 99 Sahara for $8300 at a dealer (156,000 miles) Then bought a clean one owner 2004 Columbia with new 31 in.tires, for $9000 from a private owner. (144,000 miles)
GreyBeard51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-27-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
GreyBeard51
1992 YJ Wrangler 

a bit high in Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountry View Post

I just helped my bro-in-law find a Jeep. He passed up a real nice 99 Sahara for $8300 at a dealer (156,000 miles) Then bought a clean one owner 2004 Columbia with new 31 in.tires, for $9000 from a private owner. (144,000 miles) Good Luck
GreyBeard51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.