Jeep newbie in need of help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep newbie in need of help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 11-30-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
Ivan_13

Jeep newbie in need of help!

Hey guys! I am looking into buying my first jeep! I am buying it from my brother in law. He has not told me how much it is he's looking to get out of it, and wants me to make him an offer. I want to give the most educated offer as possible, so here I am, typing this question.
The jeep is a '92 cheroke XJ. 208,000 miles.

Mods done are:

-4.10 gears
-slip yoke eliminator
-ox lockers
-a warn winch
-5 1/2 inch rubicon express lift kit
-"33 inch tires that are in great shape
-side rails
-bumpers
-dual batteries
-lights

I have no idea how much this jeep is really worth, so I've yet to make him an offer.

Several pictures can be found here:

http://www.fz6r-forum.com/forum/f6/h...t-there-30188/

Help a guy get his feet inside the jeep world!

Last edited by Ivan_13; 12-02-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Ivan_13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 03:33 AM   #2
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are you wanting to daily drive the car? I mean I'm sure he won't want to sell it for what it's worth because of the parts he put on it. I wouldn't want to pay more than $3800-4200, however I'm sure he wants like $5,500+.
indeepwithajeep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Ivan_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeepwithajeep View Post
Are you wanting to daily drive the car? I mean I'm sure he won't want to sell it for what it's worth because of the parts he put on it. I wouldn't want to pay more than $3800-4200, however I'm sure he wants like $5,500+.
Yes, I plan on making it my daily drive (work, school, etc). And that's what I was thinking. I can't even that year on kbb.
Unread 11-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look around Ebay for a general idea of what people are asking for this model. Mods are never worth what the owners think they are, and in fact may lower value. This is especially true of excessive lifts, such as this one has. If you want a Daily Driver I would strongly suggest looking for a completely stock vehicle.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Ivan_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
Look around Ebay for a general idea of what people are asking for this model. Mods are never worth what the owners think they are, and in fact may lower value. This is especially true of excessive lifts, such as this one has. If you want a Daily Driver I would strongly suggest looking for a completely stock vehicle.

That's my problem. I'm having the hardest time finding similar XJs online. '92 Manual transmission XJs are impossible for me to find. Which is why I'm here asking.
Unread 12-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #6
Ivan_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeepwithajeep View Post
Why exactly is it that you wouldn't want to pay more than 3,800-4200?

I myself was thinking of offering about 5,000. But again, this year of XJ not being on kbb is really not helping me out.
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
97vortech

how long has he had it? 208k is a little much if it was treated rough for a while.
97vortech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
apaTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

The mods on this jeep were expensive, but that doesn't really add to the value unless that's something you want. The new 33s are probably 1000 or more. If you want a jeep to 4 wheel in as well as DD then this could be good for you. But I couldn't see paying even 4000 even if it's exactly what you want. Maybe 3000. In my area a 92 xj with over 200k goes for around 1000-1500 depending on condition. I sold my 98 with 210k on it for 1700' and it was in good shape. And kbb isn't really accurate for a vehicle like this, or jeeps in general really.
apaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:03 AM   #9
Ivan_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97vortech View Post
how long has he had it? 208k is a little much if it was treated rough for a while.
He's had it for as long as I can remember. He's had it stored for a pretty long while, and just drives it around for a little about every other week or so.
Unread 12-02-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Ivan_13

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaTJ View Post
The mods on this jeep were expensive, but that doesn't really add to the value unless that's something you want. The new 33s are probably 1000 or more. If you want a jeep to 4 wheel in as well as DD then this could be good for you. But I couldn't see paying even 4000 even if it's exactly what you want. Maybe 3000. In my area a 92 xj with over 200k goes for around 1000-1500 depending on condition. I sold my 98 with 210k on it for 1700' and it was in good shape. And kbb isn't really accurate for a vehicle like this, or jeeps in general really.

I see. Yes, I am looking to 4 wheel with this jeep, as well as use it as a DD, alternating with my motorcycle, depending on what I feel like driving. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Ivan_13

So we talked, and he said he would not take anything under 6,500. I'm pretty bummed, but you know, s*** happens.
Unread 12-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #12
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan_13 View Post
So we talked, and he said he would not take anything under 6,500. I'm pretty bummed, but you know, s*** happens.
A very high price for a Cherokee with over 200,000 miles. I would guess that he is trying to regain some (or most) of the cost of the modifications he has done to it. Look around for a good stock model. You should be able to get a newer vintage unit with around 150,000 for less than 3k.

Check this out:

http://jackson.craigslist.org/cto/4233706449.html

Have found dozens locally in this range.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.