Jeep New Guy Looking at CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Jeep New Guy Looking at CJ7

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
LabH20

Jeep New Guy Looking at CJ7

Hello everyone

EDIT
http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/he...bile%20Uploads
link to some photos
He is asking $4300.

This is a great site for a new guy like me wetting his feet in the jeep world. There comes a time when you can learn so much by reading and researching. You've got to ask others for their assesment and opinion. That being said I'd like some advice and opinion "what would you pay" for a 1985 CJ7 I am interested in. I have my "number" in mind and want to refine it if needed.

The info I have is as follows:
Rebuilt 4.2 258 enginer, borg warner 4 speed manual tranny, hard top, solid axles, 8k warner winch and typical jeep rust issues.

What happened to the paint coloration? It won't win a beauty pagent! I have a parts jeep the doors are from.

How many miles? +200k

And has the engine or tranny been rebuilt or replaced? less than 20k on the motor. orginal block bored .60 over with new everything , pistons, rings, crank and mains, new valves and springs, cam shaft, water pump, brake cylinder, motor and trans mounts. Transmission is a Borg Warner 4 speed. I installed the reverse suspension kit on the front with 2" springs front and rear, solid axles in the rear. Power steering and brakes

Any mechanical issues? Gas and temp gauges do not work, have a seperate gauge for temp and fill up every 125 miles. It has the poly gas tank installed by the previous owner. September/14 inspection. I have had it 4 years but only drive it when hunting and in the summer with no top, no doors, winshield down, no worries

Working on adding photos however it appears they don't show until 30 days later for new members.

I'd rate the exterior paint as low-average to average with some areas of mismatched paint on the hood and driver door. Interior appears average.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LabH20; 03-13-2014 at 04:37 AM.. Reason: Added Link to photos
LabH20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
LabH20

Help!

Run from rust?
Unread 03-18-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabH20 View Post
Help!

Run from rust?
Yep. Run from rust. Run far away. This thing has rot, NOT "typical" jeep rust.
Unread 03-18-2014, 10:57 AM   #4
Adam013085

Don't waste your time this one. You can find many many CJs with far less rust and rot cheaper.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #5
LabH20

Thanks for the responses.
Unread 03-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

ok the rust bothers me, not the body but what the frame looks like, especial around the rear hanger, grab a screwdriver and poke the inside frame.

$4300. nope, no where near, with a mint frame about 1800, with bad frame. $10-500

now 85 are not bad years, they had the wide axle. the 4.2 is nice, hard top. warn winch, nice ok revise $700
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #7
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

rust begets rust, you fix it here, next year it comes out somewhere else.

if you buy a rusty old jeep, just drive it like it is

I think its too much,
do not buy until you have looked at 3 or more jeeps and keep you money belt fasten tight.

good luck
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
LabH20

Thanks for your responses. I steered clear.

wellmax you are very right in your "do not buy until you have looked at 3 or more jeeps and keep your money belt fastened tight."

Checking out a 84 CJ7 next week (hopefully), appears to be in much better condition with no rust (educated guess - will find out). 177k miles which means its the probably the original 258 I6, with 4 speed trans. Guess that means a borg warner T-4. Wants $8k. I believe $5500 is more appropriate if its rust free, nice paint job, small lift but original engine and transmission?

Unknown if it has the AMC 20, but probably.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.