jeep buying help??????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > jeep buying help???????????

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
sleeperek9
2005 LJ Wrangler 

jeep buying help???????????

looking at two Saharas... one is a black 99 with 93k miles,5spd, spice top and half doors other is 2001 green with 98k miles, tan hard top,full doors and 5spd both are super clean inside and out.... and they are both about the same price. just need some help on which to buy or suggestions would be great

sleeperek9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
mtngoat
2010 JK Wrangler 

A jeep instinctively knows it's owner.... So ask yourself :Which one can I see myself in...? All things being equal that would be an easy way....

For me practically.... the 2001 has 2+ years less time on things like joints and other general wear items.... even though the mileage is comparable....

People can give you suggestions, but ultimately only you know what would be better for you..... Good Luck!

WTB: 2" Used OME Springs. PM me w/details

Live for Him.... because He died for you....!
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
noleswin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If all is the same I would go with the hard top and buy a bikini for summer. It is a lot cheaper to find a soft top or bikini in Florida than a hard top if you want one.
noleswin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does either one have a dana 44?

will you put the top down a lot (you probably will in FL)?

any rust on the frames or under the carpet on either?

EDIT: I would go for the black and tan one (I'm a little biased though ha ha)
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleswin View Post
If all is the same I would go with the hard top and buy a bikini for summer. It is a lot cheaper to find a soft top or bikini in Florida than a hard top if you want one.
In fl you can have the top down most or all of the year, depending on where you are
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How are they mechanically? If they are about equal then the deciding factor would be the top and doors. Given that you are in Florida I would probably opt for the soft top/half doors, esp. if you don't have a good place to store the hard top when you remove it. If taking the hard top off/lowering the soft top isn't important to you, flip a coin.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
RuffTJ
2000 WJ 

[QUOTE=jeepwrangler97;7243549]Does either one have a dana 44?

thats the most important i would think. If you plan on lifting it make sure you check and see if either has a d44. It will save a lot of time and money later on. and as for the top down in florida then i hope you have a garage to park it in with all the dang rain all summer long. I would go with the green with full doors. your gonna hate those softs uppers plus its way more secure if your worried about that at all. i might be a little biased on this one too tho. good luck
RuffTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #8
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=RuffTJ05;7243585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
Does either one have a dana 44?

thats the most important i would think. If you plan on lifting it make sure you check and see if either has a d44. It will save a lot of time and money later on. and as for the top down in florida then i hope you have a garage to park it in with all the dang rain all summer long. I would go with the green with full doors. your gonna hate those softs uppers plus its way more secure if your worried about that at all. i might be a little biased on this one too tho. good luck
I put my top up and down a lot because of the rain (like right now), so I prefer the soft top.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Living in Canada I made sure I got both the hard and soft tops, that said I take the hardtop off beginning of May and it is stored until October. If I was in Florida I would never use a hardtop.

If both have the same axles and are in the same general condition go for the soft top. If one has a Dana 44 rear then buy that one. If they both have Dana 35's check the gear ratios one might have 3.73 gears(better) vs the 3.07's.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
sleeperek9
2005 LJ Wrangler 

how can i tell by just looking at the rearend what diff is in it and what gears it has, and i thought the Saharas came with the Dana 44 thats why i was looking at them
sleeperek9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:46 PM   #11
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Rubber fill plug = D35.
Metal fill plug = D44.
This assumes the cover is stock.
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperek9 View Post
how can i tell by just looking at the rearend what diff is in it and what gears it has, and i thought the Saharas came with the Dana 44 thats why i was looking at them
Nope, not all. It was an option. On two relatively equal vehicles, the D44 would sway the choice if it were me.
robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #13
RuffTJ
2000 WJ 

best way to find out is the way mdm said. this link might help too
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...96&postcount=8
RuffTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
black05tj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Living in Canada I made sure I got both the hard and soft tops, that said I take the hardtop off beginning of May and it is stored until October. If I was in Florida I would never use a hardtop.

If both have the same axles and are in the same general condition go for the soft top. If one has a Dana 44 rear then buy that one. If they both have Dana 35's check the gear ratios one might have 3.73 gears(better) vs the 3.07's.
Should be a little metal tag hanging off of, or between, a couple of the bolts that hold the diff cover on. This tag will have the gear ratio it came with from factory.

Also, what tranny is in the 2001? Another consideration is that if I recall correctly, the 99 will probably have plug wires, and a cap/rotor where the 2001 should have coil packs.

How do the insides look? Are they well kept? How do they feel on road? Just from looking at them, I don't think you'd go wrong with either if they've been cared for/maintained. I will say though, if you can get a D44 and/or 3.73 gears over a D35a and/or 3.07, DO IT.
Unread 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM   #15
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrangler97 View Post
In fl you can have the top down most or all of the year, depending on where you are
Yeah, that's what I used to think. Now I have to drive home in 10 minutes under this downpour in 60 degree weather (WHAT GLOBAL WARMING???). With no top or doors!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.