Which Jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Which Jeep?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
chill99

Which Jeep?

Hi guys. New to the forum and don't currently own a jeep, but in process of trying to learn something.

Many years ago, I owned a couple of CJ-5's and did a lot of 4-wheeling. It's been 25 years since. I've owned several 4x4s since, but am itching to get back into a Jeep. My current daily vehicle alternates between a Dodge Ram Hemi and '04 Vette. It's about time for the Vette to go so I can move back into a Jeep.

I haven't kept up with the changes in Jeeps over 20 yrs. I see some of the 4 door rigs that look nice when lifted and balanced out with larger wheels/tires (which is always the first thing I do to any 4x4). However, I also still love the look of the more traditional style 2 door Jeep. I have no desire to buy an older model CJ and want to stay in a model that is in the 5 yr old range. I don't plan to do any heavy 4 wheeling, but do like to put on various mods for function and looks.

My question to the forum is what are the reasons for purchasing a 4 door version over a 2 door version, or vice versa? Its a vague question, but a start.

Thanks!
Chris

chill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
05x

First thing that comes to mind is space. Obviously it all depends on what you want to use it for and how much room you think you need to do so. You can get by either way. Second might be price since theres a pretty good diff there too
05x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
No92
2014 JK Wrangler 

Having just bought a 4-door JK, we love it. Has more room of course than a 2-door. And personally we just love the look of the JKU. Probably more stable with a longer wheel base but I can't confirm or deny that. It's more practical as far as being able to lug things inside the vehicle than the 2-door.
No92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:21 PM   #4
jpin321
2013 JK Wrangler 

It all personal opinion and like others have said it depends on how you will use it. I just bought a 2013 2dr sport, coming from an 05 tj... I bought a 2dr because I think they look better (traditional style maybe?). But I swear the back is harder to get stuff in and out of, not sure if its cause the jeep is wider or the seat doesn't go as far forward. I'm annoyed with just a few bags of groceries. Part of me really wishes I had gotten a JKU, I like the looks of the 2dr better, but I like the space and ease of access of the JKU's. In the end its your call I say go drive both, look em over real good and see which you prefer.
Unread 02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #5
HAFICON
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

I do so light to moderate trail rides but plan is expedition rides so the 4dr was my first choice oh the wife and kid made the 4dr a little more appealing as well.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #6
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I like the looks of the 2dr better than the 4dr, but there was no way I could let that influence my decision on which one to get.

It gets me to remote locations with the tools and parts needed for the work at hand. And if the job takes several days, I can sleep in it no matter what the weather.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpin321 View Post
It all personal opinion and like others have said it depends on how you will use it. I just bought a 2013 2dr sport, coming from an 05 tj... I bought a 2dr because I think they look better (traditional style maybe?). But I swear the back is harder to get stuff in and out of, not sure if its cause the jeep is wider or the seat doesn't go as far forward. I'm annoyed with just a few bags of groceries. Part of me really wishes I had gotten a JKU, I like the looks of the 2dr better, but I like the space and ease of access of the JKU's. In the end its your call I say go drive both, look em over real good and see which you prefer.

I like the 2 door because of the tighter turning radius in the woods. The shorter wheelbase prevents getting high centered like the the 4 door can. What I've seen, a 4-dr has to go up to 37's where a 2-dr can get by on 35's, and so on. Just need a little more clearance on the 4-dr to clear some obstacles. Personally, the 2-dr looks better, especially with the doors off. The 4-dr looks a little weird with the door pillar between the front and the back when the doors are off. But you can't beat a 4-dr if you have kids or like to carry a lot of stuff!

YMMV
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
HAFICON
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post

I like the 2 door because of the tighter turning radius in the woods. The shorter wheelbase prevents getting high centered like the the 4 door can. What I've seen, a 4-dr has to go up to 37's where a 2-dr can get by on 35's, and so on. Just need a little more clearance on the 4-dr to clear some obstacles. Personally, the 2-dr looks better, especially with the doors off. The 4-dr looks a little weird with the door pillar between the front and the back when the doors are off. But you can't beat a 4-dr if you have kids or like to carry a lot of stuff!

YMMV
No doubt the 2dr looks better with the doors off.. I did not notice the painted pillar until after I bought the Jeep. But I got over it..
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
AlbertaJeeper
2013 JK Wrangler 

For real life the 4 door is definitely more practical. Off road there haven't been many times so far I've wished for a 2 door, but it would help out with getting high centered. Overall I needed a vehicle I can load up with camping supplies or other large stuff. Plus the long wheelbase is a lot better on ice which is a pretty big deal for me
AlbertaJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #10
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Space
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM   #11
chill99

Thanks for all the replies thus far. They definitely help to get my thinking started.

I haven't looked into what engine options might be available, but is there any difference between the 2 and 4 door models? Is one typically more "powerful" than the other from a stock (no mods) perspective? (Obviously the 4 dr is a little heavier).
chill99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Haven't driven the new 2 door and I haven't driven a Wrangler I would call fast. I can't imagine the 2 dr would be fast enough to change most people's minds about getting a 4dr. Just go drive them both. If you drive the older JKs with the 3.8s I hear the auto is the limiting factor there.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.