J10 help for a newb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > J10 help for a newb

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 05-08-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
WayBeau

J10 help for a newb

Wondering if anyone would be kind enough to help a newbie who's looking to buy a J10.

Is there anything in particular one should look for/at when 'inspecting' one of these vehicles? Obviously I'll be looking to make sure it's not completely rusted out, but are there particular areas to focus on for rust issues? Should I focus on anything mechanically (other than making sure it runs and drives)?

Also, the listing says it has less than 50k miles and has been garage kept. What's a reasonable price for something like this, assuming there are no issues?

I appreciate any feedback you're willing to give me.

WayBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #2
HokieAirman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Depending on the year, the odometer may not go past 5 digits, so make sure its not 150k. Take a good look at the frame underneath and the floorpans. Mine rusted out long ago and were hillbilly repaired by the po. Check the gauges, etc. Crank the wheel all the way to the left and al the way back...listen for clunking,etc. Head over to jeeptruck.com for lots of comparison opportunities.

By the way...you live in Waynesboro! I'm in Verona. A rust free ride in good condition could easily go for $5-7k. I bought mine with a good frame, good mechanics, but poor body for $1500, so a solid body is a big deal. If you pass it up, let me know where i can find the ad, please, id be interestded to look, but would not want to cut in line. :-)
1975 J10 Pickup - Bought in 2013
HokieAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:15 PM   #3
WayBeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieAirman View Post
By the way...you live in Waynesboro! I'm in Verona. A rust free ride in good condition could easily go for $5-7k. I bought mine with a good frame, good mechanics, but poor body for $1500, so a solid body is a big deal. If you pass it up, let me know where i can find the ad, please, id be interestded to look, but would not want to cut in line. :-)
PM sent.
WayBeau is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.