Info on Possibly buying a 1998 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Info on Possibly buying a 1998 Grand Cherokee

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
dunejeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Info on Possibly buying a 1998 Grand Cherokee

I'm going to take a look at this in about 30 minutes. What should I be mindful of? I know more about Wranglers and next to nothing about GC. Are there any red flags I should look for? I'm basically going to use it as a winter driver and maybe light trails.
http://muskegon.craigslist.org/cto/4470299925.html

dunejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #2
dunejeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went to look at it and I test drove it. The only thing I noticed wrong is a clicking coming from what sounds like the front drivers side wheel/axle area while engaged in 4wd. The clicking is more frequent while turning. Is this likely an axle u-joint? If so, what does that cost to fix. I will likely try my hand at fixing it.
Unread 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #3
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If it is a u-joint. It's a $10 part...

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
dunejeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

It looks and sounds like it's going to need u joints for the axles, upper and lower ball joints, and a chain in the transfer case. I haven't priced these parts yet, but I'm thinking I can do the repairs myself. Is $500 worth of parts a fair estimate?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.