I think I want a four-door JK; now I have questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > I think I want a four-door JK; now I have questions

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #16
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hey man, glad to hear you want a JKU! I actually just got one recently and ill offer in my 2 cents!

As far as room and a family vehicle, i would say its perfect. I dont have a family but i always pile my friends in and theres plenty of room and the trunk is the size of a normal trunk. Ive never been limited with space on my JKU. I would go for an '08 and above, my friend has an '07 and he has issues with his rubicon.
I just put 33's on mine and i got a 3 inch lift with it. If you want 35" i would got with a 4-5" lift, probably 5 to prevent rubbing issues. JK mods vary from cheap to expensive, but this is where craigslist and the Jeep community are your friend. Are you going for name brand parts or what? The rear seats are split on my model, not sure about previous. Doors are cake to come off just like any jeep. I leave the bottom nut off of my doors so i can take my doors off even easier! And as you know Jeeps hold value really well so for 18 thousand, you can get some quality and maybe even already slightly modded! I would just look till you find what you want! Hope this helps you some

2014 JKU Wrangler "UMBRA" - 3" Rubicon Express Lift Kit | Bilstein 5100 shocks | 33" Nitto A/T | 17” Pacers | RockHard Skid Plates | Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper | Mile Marker 8000 LB winch | Black Mesh grill | Rampage Locking Gas Door |
Corvito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #17
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here is a JKU SPort stickers for $30750 for ~$29,000. Has more equipment than you might want but thought Id throw another option at you:
http://www.fitzmall.com/Inventory/De...er%20Unlimited
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Adam013085

4-5 inch lift would be overkill for a JK and 35s I believe. Someone chime in if I am wrong
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #19
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yea 2.5 is all you need. 4 to 5 inches you could run at least 40s lol. The added bonus of a JK over any other Jeep.
Unread 11-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

I run 2.5 on mine with 265/70/R17s which is about a 32x10.50 and have plenty of room to go much bigger which I plan to go a size up to the 285/70/R17s 33x11.50 in the LT size.
16340027_large.jpg

Unread 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #21
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome looking Jeep! That's what mine will look like, except it's going to have a soft top (unless I can talk them into a hard top, too).
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #22
Corvito
2014 JK Wrangler 

Heres a pic of mine with a 3" Lift and 33" All Terrains. Hope it helps give you more of an idea

2014 JKU Wrangler "UMBRA" - 3" Rubicon Express Lift Kit | Bilstein 5100 shocks | 33" Nitto A/T | 17” Pacers | RockHard Skid Plates | Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper | Mile Marker 8000 LB winch | Black Mesh grill | Rampage Locking Gas Door |
Corvito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #23
blackjeep05
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmoon View Post
Awesome looking Jeep! That's what mine will look like, except it's going to have a soft top (unless I can talk them into a hard top, too).
Thanks. Yea a soft top for 26K with what you said is still a great deal. If you could talk into a hardtop you kicked butt.
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Drove a white JKU Sport S today and loved everything about it but the color (which grew on me quite a bit as I stood in the parking lot talking to the dealer). If the dealer can't find exactly what I want nearby, I may order a new one, which is kind of exciting. I've never owned a brand new vehicle.
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:08 PM   #25
new_jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwmoon View Post
Drove a white JKU Sport S today and loved everything about it but the color (which grew on me quite a bit as I stood in the parking lot talking to the dealer). If the dealer can't find exactly what I want nearby, I may order a new one, which is kind of exciting. I've never owned a brand new vehicle.
What dealership are you working with in Raleigh, and what was the one in Va? I am near the same area of NC as you and I am also looking at getting a jku. If you don't want to put that out in the public forum just pm me.

Thanks
new_jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #26
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey, man:

Sorry I haven't been online for a few days to see your question. The dealership in Virginia is Lustine Chrysler Dodge Jeep. I'll say two things about them in order of importance to me: 1) The sales team has been nothing short of professional with me and has been a pleasure to work with both times I have called. 2) However, the reviews on cars.com tell a different story, one of salesmen offering one price over the phone only to introduce ridiculous fees once the buyer got to the dealership. To be honest, it makes me hesitant to drive 4 1/2 hours to see them.

The local dealer is actually in Greenville... East Carolina Chrysler Jeep Dodge. I met with them for a couple hours yesterday to talk about trying to locate a 2013 JKU Sport S in Commando Green. They found one, but they wouldn't come close to matching the price at Lustine. When I told them what I found, they wanted to see proof. I figured, what the heck, here's my printout so you can see I'm not full of it. They marveled at the price and wondered out loud how the dealership could offer prices so low. They told me they were skeptical Lustine would be able to offer me what I want, which I believe was just an attempt to keep me from going elsewhere.

Regardless, I'm becoming disenchanted with the new Jeep prospects and now have my sights on two used 2007 JKUs.

For the tl;dr crowd, start reading here:

Which is worth pursuing?

Jeep A: Green 2007 X with 74k miles. Looks like it's in pristine condition. Both tops, but no power locks/windows. $18,381. Clean Carfax.
Jeep B: Blue 2007 Sahara with 81,500 miles. Hard top only. Sahara trim, so it has the power locks/windows. $19,592. Small ding in front bumper, but clean Carfax. I would make them replace the bumper if I went this route.
Jeep C: None of the above. Keep looking.
Unread 11-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #27
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Check out CARMAX. Here is a link to a search of all 4 doors within 500 miles of zip 28530.
http://www.carmax.com/search?ADc=60&...+788&zip=28530
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:40 PM   #28
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yep. I did that. The prices on the two in Charlotte that I found look to be very fair. I'm torn between the two I described. One minute, I think I want one; the next, I want the other. And in my less rational moments, I want to keep my truck.

I just need to win the lottery and build a massive garage on an empty lot in my neighborhood.
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #29
Skold
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look at cargurus.com too. I think they are a great resource for gauging actual market rates on used cars. The same goes for true car.com for new.
Skold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #30
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

Still looking.

When I bought my TJ, I jumped on the second Jeep I drove. This time, I'm taking my time. I thought I had something lined up in Charlotte over the weekend. I called the dealership Friday afternoon, and they told me they had two JKUs for me to look at. One of the Jeeps sold Friday evening after I called. Literally 10 minutes before I was going to get in my truck to head to Charlotte Saturday morning, the dealer called back to say someone was looking at the second Jeep. "Sure," I thought, rolling my eyes at what I thought was just a typical dealer tactic. Five minutes later, the salesman called back to let me know it had sold, too.

To console myself, I went to a lot in Clemmons that specializes in buying low mileage Jeeps and lifting them, which leads me to my new question of the day:

Would you rather purchase a bone stock '12 JKU Sport with super low miles, a '07-'08 JKUR with about 60k miles and a professionally installed Teraflex lift and 35s for about the same price (or maybe a couple hundred dollars less), or a new '13/'14 Sport for a little more? ... and why? (A new Rubicon or Sahara is out of the question on my budget.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.