How much would you pay for this LJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > How much would you pay for this LJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

How much would you pay for this LJ?

Assume accident free, never off-road, stock condition, excellent dual tops,
9.5/10 condition, front to back maintenance completed (incl. tires, pads/rotors, all u-joints, etc) , 75k miles.

pic:

dscn1895.jpg  
rwh63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Jeep4L1fe
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep4L1fe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #4
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

let me note that KBB has this at $16.8 excellent private party.
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Jeep4L1fe
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Are you doing private sale or trade-in, cause a dealer doesn't go by KBB. They use NADA, Black Book, and local car auction prices.
Jeep4L1fe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

How long have you been trying to sell this? Over a year? What's wrong with it where you can't sell it after all this time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You have been trying to sell this rig since mid 2011. There must be an issue with the way you are marketing the vehicle, you live in a remote area away from all population centers, or the vehicle has some type of mechanical issue that potential buyers have noticed. Make sure you are advertising on jeepforum, wranglerforum, pirate4x4, craigslist, ebay classified, and autotrader. Personally, the big problem for me is that your LJ has an auto tranny.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
JACKAL0PE
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwh63 View Post
let me note that KBB has this at $16.8 excellent private party.
Then why are you asking us what we'd pay for it?

If you already think the KBB price is correct, why ask forum members what they think?
JACKAL0PE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #9
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the (somewhat) helpful replies. This LJ is in near perfect condition, thank you. I have had it for sale for over a year on a couple of forums, as well as cars.com and craigslist. I have had several inquiries over that period of time, and two offers that feel through. I am on the verge of finally selling (with some regret)
to a wonderful couple. My question was a serious and simple one, getting the opinion of jeep owners/fans as to their idea of a fair selling price. I'm stumped as to why this Jeep has taken so long to sell, though my personal observation over this past year is that people want new, or cheap/old used. The in-between market is difficult, though I feel that this jeep lj is the equal in many ways to the 2007+ 2 dr jeeps.

I quoted KBB private party because that is what i have been using to price mine. i have received plenty of pm's saying stuff like "if i hadn't just bought mine, i would be all over this", or "if this were out west, it would be a $20k jeep". So, why not ask my "friends" at jeepforum.com for their thoughts?
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Doctor View Post
You have been trying to sell this rig since mid 2011. There must be an issue with the way you are marketing the vehicle, you live in a remote area away from all population centers, or the vehicle has some type of mechanical issue that potential buyers have noticed. Make sure you are advertising on jeepforum, wranglerforum, pirate4x4, craigslist, ebay classified, and autotrader. Personally, the big problem for me is that your LJ has an auto tranny.
Well, he's been spamming JF for at least a year with pics of that thing in every thread he can find. Apparently that's not a successful approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just take a short sale of it. If it takes that long to sell it. If somebody offers $15k sell it. Your time has to be worth something.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 01-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #12
contdevelop
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would pay at least $5k for it.

For being in the "northeast" your price is too high. Its basically spent 7 years in the rust belt, so your opinion of "perfect" is going to be a lot different than my opinion of "perfect" here in Texas.

In 2009, I paid $8k for my Sahara with a hardtop in Texas, with 85k miles. So basically i bought a truly rust-free Jeep of the equivalent age for half the price you want.
contdevelop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, there are some sour people here. i hope some happy folks chime in before soon.

I strongly disagree with the "spam" comment. I decided to take a more direct and personal sales/marketing approach. I was always respectful, did not pursue people with pm's, and offered advice on LJs when asked. Most people who had a "shopping for an LJ" thread did pm me complimenting my jeep. Unfortunately, all of them lived outside of my area. Some long distance hook-ups faded, some offered trades. I never received a negative comment.

As for "short selling" (and i certainly don't put $15k in that category), I never felt I would have to. Like most, I run across unproven comments about how someone paid
an extremely low amount for some cherry jeep. Even if true, those are anomalies, way at the end of the bell curve. And absolutely, my time is worth something. But I also enjoy having the Jeep around to learn from, drive a little, and be proud of.

As to the comment from Texas, several months ago I sold my spotless 2002 Camry with 150k miles. 10 years in the "northeast". No body rust, no underbody rust, light rust on exposed bare nuts/bolts. If a vehicle is properly maintained (and granted many everywhere are not), there is no reason for rust belt cars to be much different than others. Now, if i were shopping for a 20-30 yr old car, I would be concerned. and maybe jeeps are a dime a dozen in texas, but not in this market, and ljs are from what i understand superior (in all ways including price) to tjs (feel free to let me know how they are not).

Anyway, I've learned a lot being a jeep owner and forum contributor. If i can make a wrangler a second or third vehicle in my life, i will probably do so given what i've learned.

Here's a pic of my horrible northeast underbody!
dscn2003.jpg  
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #14
LaKJ03
2001 TJ Wrangler 

IMO, they are only superior in interior space and hard to find a good used example of since they were only made for 3 years instead of 9. I like them except for the limo-ed look they have compared to a TJ. I would love to have one for my wife more than myself. As far as undercarriage pic taken, is that pitman arm freshly painted on one side and not the other. Last time I checked parts rust on all sides that are exposed. Maybe its the angle of the picture, but does look like it got a little paint work going on. Great looking Jeep either way.
LaKJ03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #15
rwh63
2006 LJ Wrangler 

each spring i wash and refresh the flat black on my vehicles. it makes things look more uniform and adds a thin layer of protection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.