How much is my Jeep worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > How much is my Jeep worth?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
mahgnillig
2001 TJ Wrangler 

How much is my Jeep worth?

Firstly, apologies if this is the wrong area of the forum, but I figured since I'm not actually selling anything (yet) I shouldn't put it in the sale section.

I'm thinking about selling my TJ and getting something a bit more practical but still trail worthy (need more space inside and automatic). Currently the two top contenders are a 4-door JK or a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which we'll likely be buying new within the next 2-3 months.

I want to sell my TJ privately since it's had a lot of work done to it and the dealers' trade in offers only reflect prices for a stock vehicle. Also, it's painted zebra striped... which may or may not be a selling point! . I have no idea how much I should be asking for this as a private sale, and would be grateful if a few people could chime in with ball park figures.

It's a 2001 TJ sport 4l 6cy with approx. 140,000 miles on it. The engine and transmission (manual) are fine, everything works except the A/C (which probably has a leak in it somewhere but I haven't been bothered to pay someone to fix it since if it's warm I just take the top off). Here is a list of additional mods:

- 3" BDS suspension w/ Bilstein shocks (installed about 8 months ago) + .75" spacers
- 1" MORE body lift
- 1" Brown Dog motor mount lift
- 33" Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac x5 mounted on Cragar Soft 8s
- JKS adjustable front track bar
- Borla cat back exhaust
- Bushwacker flat fender flares
- Upgraded headlights & clear turn signals
- Stereo w/ subwoofer & Polk Audio speakers
- Alarm
- Vinyl seat covers
- Custom bumpers/armour. These were fabricated by the auto shop at my hubby's work. Includes: rear bumper/tyre carrier with tow hitch, 2 shackles, trail rack and mounts for 2 jerry cans; front bumper with tow hitch, winch mount, 2 shackles & Hella driving lights mounted; rocker guards with tube steps; engine skid plate and gas tank skid.
- Interior is Herculiner'd, exterior is zebra striped (proper auto paint + clearcoat... not the most smooth paint job in the world, but was done with a paint gun/compressor, not rattlecans)

I'm sure there's more... it's been my baby for the last 7 years or so, but it's becoming impractical and painful to drive with a messed up knee. Plus, my hubby hates it

BTW, there is a picture in my profile which shows mostly what it looks like if anyone is interested. The suspension and fender flares have changed since that picture was taken (it had a 2.5" lift on back then).

Unread 12-29-2013, 12:03 AM   #2
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Best thing to do is to look at what Jeeps of the same year with comparable miles are selling for in your area and price accordingly. You may or may not be able to get what you think all the mods are worth, odds are usually against it.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

In fact the usual thought is that modifications decrease the value of a used Jeep. Lifts, especially body lifts are detrimental. Your herculiner job is considered by some to be no more than a rust coverup, and the zebra paint job does not help the possibility of a sale. Do some research on KBB and Edmunds for the used value in your area for your Jeep completely stock, and try to get that amount for it. Remember, the more "personalized" a vehicle is, the less it is worth to the buying public.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good luck selling it with the zebra paint.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I too doubt that increases the resale value.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you use the KBB value of a Excellent condition and remember less than 15% of cars sold even come to close to this. Paint is everything next to interior and mechanical. no flaws.

about low5500 to high6800. but the jeep looks nice to me. prices vary to on market of the area. We have alot of older used jeep in this area. so its harder to get top dollar when you can find Yj's and even Cj in rather good condition, no rust out here. They out live there owner like a parrot.

If it was a Lj sahara or Rubihara it would have a lot more value with low miles. I know a Lj sahara with like 35k on it, still has factory rubber last i seen.
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #7
mahgnillig
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I looked on Craigslist and KBB before I posted. KBB had it valued at approx $5k for a trade-in and $6k for private sale, which is really more than I was expecting for a 13 year old vehicle anyway. When I looked at CL similar Jeeps are being advertised for a lot more than that in my area ($8-12k, some private, some dealerships)... trouble is there is no way of telling if they are actually selling at those prices. This is why I was asking... there seems to be a lot of disparity. I guess I will start high and go from there since I'm really not in a massive hurry to sell. I just didn't want to sell it for way less than it's worth only to find out later that I could have had another $2k in my pocket.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What you have here are private owners who think their jeeps are worth $5 grand more than they are because they put $4 grand of mods on them. The dealerships all want more than private sellers, lots of times lots more. People who know jeeps rarely buy from dealerships unless they find a real deal. The secret here is that they know what a real deal is. If you are not in a hurry to sell, I would put it up for $6,000 and see what happens. Keep us posted.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
dahreno

I think the Zebra paint job looks well done . I think what the people that have remarked on your Jeep don't realize is your location . They don't know you live in Jeep country , probably an hour from the Rubicon , and 4 wheeling every where . I know because I live in Reno . I like your Jeep and think you should keep it !
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #10
BeastOfBurden
1973 CJ5 

The true value of a vehicle that has been modified and not only that but modified for a specific purpose always will be extremely difficult to quantify.
Why, because most possible buyers are not going to be you. Case in point the zebra paint job. That paint job could be worth $10K worth and a true shield against the elements but Joe Buyer is not going to give a hoot about that protection.
When ever we invest on our toys and build up from the stock option, we are decreasing the value of the vehicle if we decide to sell it but we are increasing our own fun.
The more fun we have, the less value it earns for possible sell.
I know, I will never ever see a dime of what I have spent on my Beast of Burden.
BeastOfBurden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
atikovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadownwpa View Post
I think I like it. If I were selling it I'd put it on Ebay. Might get someone from Europe that really digs that paint.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #12
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
I think the Zebra paint job looks well done . I think what the people that have remarked on your Jeep don't realize is your location . They don't know you live in Jeep country , probably an hour from the Rubicon , and 4 wheeling every where . I know because I live in Reno . I like your Jeep and think you should keep it !
Well its not wheeling everywhere. I lived there in the 60-70's, was wheeling everywhere, then. My best friends dad was in the early Hi-Low's. That is when and were i was Jeep addicted. Though I still go back there every year to run a trail or two in Cal not to far away, in the summer.

I would wait for a buyer. If the thing still runs well, I would not sell for under 6 if you do not need the money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.