How much do you think gas price affects price on a Wrangler? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > How much do you think gas price affects price on a Wrangler?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
NY Gixxer

How much do you think gas price affects price on a Wrangler?

I got killed on my Grand Cherokee trade in two years ago when gas was high. All the dealers whined about SUV pricing being in the toilet because of gas prices.

I ask because Wranglers seem to have a loyal following and while shopping for a 4 door JK I noticed they hold their value well.

I like to get a new car every two years and I don't want to get too far upside down. I saw somewhere (maybe Fox news) that gas could shoot up to $5.00 in the next 12 months or so.

NY Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

one of your biggest problem is buying a new car every two years. you need to buy one about five years old and keep it twenty years. Most of the depreacaited is in the first couple years. why buy a 30k vehicle and trade it for 15k. buy the 15k vehicle first. But yes wrangler hold the value real good. I think a two door would hold better than a 4 door just because, people think two doors are real jeeps.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
NY Gixxer

Oh yeah, I know it's not smart but I just get bored driving the same thing too long so I don't mind paying for it. People waste money crazy things, silly hobbies, etc...mine is cars.

I usually buy cars that are about two years old so they took most of the hit already and I don't do too bad if I sell them outright but sometimes I am lazy and trade in-that's where you lose the most.
NY Gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
jonrjen
2011 KK Liberty 

I dont think gas prices will have any effect on the resell of a Wrangler. Owning a Wrangler is not like buying a car, it is more along the line of entering a Cult. Lets look at this in a real world light, just what does a Wrangler offer that makes it so popular. A short wheel base that delivers a rough ride. No real creature comfort in the form of either standard trim or options. Difficult entry and egress to the cab. Loud interior noise. Aerodynamics of a cinder block. Limited passenger space. Built by a company that could cease to exist at any time.
But on the flip side, it will run the Rubicon in stock form, provide transportation where many other vehicles can not. Quirky enough to make you smile. Doesn't look like every other vehicle on the road. Has a strong Cult following inspite of the long list above.
The only place that the MPG will come into play is when a dealership uses that excuse to lowball you on your trade in price. The end purchaser doesn't care about MPG.
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
OneLoud
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah man, that dealer saw you coming a mile away and fed you a line of bulldung that you ate up and asked for seconds!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/pay-forward-1091342/[/URL]
^Check this thread out!!!^

"What is this? It's my car, it's a Prius. It literally feels like I'm riding around in a vigina right now!"
OneLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #6
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

so if mpg was the deal, how come the new ones are still 30k instead of 12k
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 07:13 AM   #7
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

All cars/suvs/trucks took a hit during the last gas spike - A Cherokee will take a bigger hit than a Wrangler since there are a # of other SUVs that compete with it that get better gas mileage.

Wranglers dont have as much competition but if gas goes to $5.00 a gallon the resale market could take a hit on anything running <25 MPGs

However if you actually run the #s at $5 a gallon it would cost you around $600-$1000 more a year in gas. That would not cover more than 2 car payments if you got something else.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.