How to buy the right Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > How to buy the right Jeep

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Edxactly

How to buy the right Jeep

I've always looked longingly at jeeps.
This June I'm getting married in St Johns USVI and will be renting a jeep for 10 days. I'm sure the Wrangler I'm getting is the most basic one. But I figure this is a good chance to get a real feel for driving a jeep around for a bit.

So my question is, if I come back all "Hell yeah gonna do it", What shoudl I look for, for my 1st jeep.

I don't have a real urge to go heavy off roading. would be more mild off roading now and then, maybe light towing, stump pulling on occasion, general use.

And if I do see something, I wish there was a service that would say "Hey for the 57.8 modifications on this thing xxxxxx is a reasonable price".

For instance this just looks like a fun bit of bad *** within my price range, (probably more than I need), but I'd have no idea on how to gauge a reasonable price.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f153/...ahara-2281761/

So - any suggestions on what to look for? I def like wrangler styling and would want 6 cylinder along with some nominal upgrades at least.

Thanks for any feedback/guidance.

Edxactly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
AngryRedBird

1st: Congrads on the nuptials..
2nd: Seeing how your going to a third world type country.. Let me remind you that in those countries.. The term "jeep" means any vehicle that is equipped with 4 wheel drive or all wheel drive.. and can go off road etc.. Yet ask them what a car means.. its the real deal.. go figure. So when you requested to rent a "jeep" make sure you're getting the real deal.. or you'll end up with an alternative.
3rd: If by chance you actually get into and drive a real jeep in that country.. take note of everything you experience.. ask whom ever is rent you that jeep, if the doors can be removed and the top taken down etc.. Perhaps as part of the whole experience.. many of these countries have mild off road excursions.. This way you'll be allowed to hit the beach and hopefully learn a few things about airing down and how responsive the jeep is during the off road adventure.
4th: With all that going for you.. you might change your mind about what year jeep you'll purchase. So lets forget the numbers..

The jeep life is a hobby.. it can be enjoyed several different ways.. Just depends on what you're planing. Will the jeep be a daily driver?.. should one alter its appearance to best suits the trail?. is it really necessary to lift the jeep 4 inches or more?.. Have kids?.. 2Dr or 4Dr?.. Are you very active?.. ski, surf, fish, hunt etc.. Then select the jeep that best suit your families needs.. You sure about wanting that inline 6 over a V8?.. and sure Jeeps are known to be less than perfect when it comes to water getting into the cockpit.. Is one willing to accept the challenges ahead when it pertains to slight, mild or major upgrades?. can this be done by yourself.. or will you constantly rely on others to preform these tasks for you?.. Prepared to empty your pockets?.. erm.. maybe..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^ Is absolutely correct. Jeeps should be considered as a hobby and your needs will dictate which jeep you end up with. Remember this: Highly modified jeeps can be worth much less on the market than stock jeeps. I don't care how many dollars and how high the lift, there are far too many unknowns when buying a jeep an owner has modified. Getting rid of them can be a headache too.

The main thing to look for is rust. Any rust. You can spend thousands repairing rust before you can make some jeeps road worthy.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Edxactly

Thank you so much for the replies.
As for the jeep rental I'll be using - it is an actual jeep wrangler. can't take off the hardtop mind you - they use to let you but then I think the jeeps just go too damaged over time to be cost effective. so at this time, there is no jeep rentals on St Johns that allows you to take of the top etc... I looked

You brought up a great point about the jeep life being a hobby. My problem is I already have too much going on to start up on something else (just not enough time). I think I could summarize what I'd be looking under the following criteria.
  1. Daily driver
  2. I work 50% of the time from home so I drive less than most people
  3. My son is a marine now and out of the house so no kids related stuff
  4. I don't have the time to do a lot of work on it myself
  5. Occasional use for moderate off road
  6. occasional use for towing
  7. Main reason I'm interested is for the what I believe will be the enjoyment of driving one
  8. 2 Door
  9. Active - but based more around working out with friends, Obstacle runs etc. nothing at the moment that requires something like a kayak.
  10. Water in the cockpit - I live in Austin TX area - drought central. Good AC and cooling effects are much more important.
  11. V6 vs V8 - Might get down to MPG and longevity of the engine. If one is a more solid long term investment then I would go that way over MPG. I don't have a need at "this moment" for a ton of torque/power. That could change in the future of course.

It seems that might go/no-go point could end up around the fact I'm not one to work on cars myself much. If getting a jeep means I'm going to really need to spend significant time/$'s maintaining it then it might not be the best choice for me. Most cars I've ever owned I've bought as they are just a way to get from point A to B, and get away without having to take out a car loan. So generally buying a lower end car like my current mazda 3 new with cash I'd saved up. Nothing exciting - but that allows me to spend money on the other things I like doing. But - I also want to get something I actually enjoy this time (old age getting to me.. Dammit I deserve a car I like finally!). Maybe if I could get a decent jeep that is fun, then over time it might become the 2nd car/hobby in the future.

So much to consider. But based upon above it seems I'd be best off with a mostly stock 2 door, V6 or V8 depending upon price/wear and tear???

thanks
Unread 05-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Edxactly

Oh and we got an 8 month old German Shepard Puppy - and it just seem like he'd freakin love being in the back (safely secured) and would look good there. LOL.
Unread 05-12-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
AngryRedBird

True and thanks @WDNewman for the vote of confidence..

If this is your time, then you have to realize that one can have fun as you said. in any vehicle.. as long as you're aware of the safety precaution when it pertains to your pet/s. Pet shops have been caring pet seats or harnesses which act like a child restraint system. but for you pet. Everyone talks about getting hurt in an accident and they had or have a pet with them.. but they never mention if the pet was hurt.
Many of us simply become greedy or even self centered, if you where to step outside the box and consider your family as well as your pet.. then the vehicle would come to that's best suited for everyone's needs. However.. if this is your time and it's going to be just you.. then the sky is the limit..
As for the V6 or V8.. Why not do an inline 6 or 4?.. those could be more acquirable IE within your price range.. and would offer you a tinker toy for just to time when it is you on the trail. So don't limit yourself to just one aspect.. Explore all possibilities.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.