Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

High Mileage 2005 5.7?? Nightmare or Risk Worth Taking?

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jen918 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I have owned 2 Jeeps in the past; I had a '99 4.7 that I sold running great at 157k. I only ditched it because the rocker panels were starting to rust. I then bought a low mileage (20k) 2005 w/a Hemi. Loved it until I got a vehicle allowance for my new job and took advantage of it and got a new truck. Neither ever gave me any troubles beyond common replaceables...starter in 05, alternator in 99, replaced axles in the 99.

Well, times are tough. I need a cheap ($5k or less) winter vehicle big enough to haul dogs in and that will tow a horse in a pinch (ie, an emergency- not going to be used for towing regularly) and isn't an eyesore (work requirement). I was looking at older WJs in good shape, but I saw a VERY nice and apparently well-maintained (says he can prove regular maintenance every 3k mi) 2005 Hemi w/195,000 miles on it, mostly highway.

My long-winded question boils down to this: Is there anything in particular that I should worry about w/a Hemi of this age/mileage? Something disastrous with engine, transmission, 4x4 system, etc? Am I wiser to stick w/an older 4.7? Or even the inline 6?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Well maintained high highway mileage vehicles can put on an amazing number of miles with little or no problems.
That being said, at 195k miles even well maintained vehicles will start needing major component replacement/overhauls.
Timing chain, hoses, belts, water pump, valve guides and lifters, fuel delivery systems, brake systems, and transmissions
are just a few places where work could be needed.
As a toy/weekend usage vehicle I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage.
For towing or as a daily driver, I would keep looking.

#3 ·
Thanks for replying.

Trying to decide if newer w/higher miles or older with fewer is the way I want to go. Thinking I'll keep it all winter and maybe through spring then dump it...but that's if all goes well. If all doesn't go well I could be stuck with it a little longer :)

I kind of decided against the Hemi for no other reason than when something does break, those parts sure seem to cost a lot more. I couldn't believe the difference between parts prices on my 4.7 vs. my 5.7. If I can't find any others, I will look at the maintenance logs and maybe chance it for the winter...around here it's hard to find them with no rust so there aren't that many to choose from, actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.