HELP!!!! on new Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > HELP!!!! on new Jeep

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-14-2014, 10:04 AM   #1
hwilson

HELP!!!! on new Jeep

my girlfriend just bought a 2014 wrangler sport unlimited 4door. dealer had installed a 3.5 rough country lift and added 35x12.5x17 fierce attitude tires. as expected it rode a little rough with the big tires and mpg was bad. but... it ran all over the road and darted left and right. we called the dealer and got the "well that's the way they drive" routine. changed tires to toyo at 285x70x17, drove some better but still darted. had an alignment done and it still darts. just took it back to the dealer today and got a total blow off. that's how jeeps drive they say. I say its a roll over waiting to happen and if this is how jeeps drive,,,,, how the heck do they sell them for what the cost. so.... I need help. do new jeeps drive like u are riding a spooky horse or is this dealer trying to take advantage of a female customer?? any input is welcome.

hwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
AngryRedBird

Yes & No.. Meaning that the suspension is touchie at times, even the wind can blow the jeep around.. But to have a dealer tell you "This Is How It Is" is not acceptable.. if you say there was an alignment check.. and everything checks out.. where was the alignment done?.. at the dealer?.. that same dealer that might be pulling your chain?.. I do foresee slight issues when dealing with this matter.. maybe a tire is out of balance?.. steering stabilize installed incorrectly?.. thou the bigger knobby tires don't have much as for road worthiness.. their more of an off road tire.. so drifting & bouncing could be due to low inflated/tire pressure issues.. check the specs on the tires.. post the PSI range (max pressure)
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 02:46 PM   #3
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwilson View Post
my girlfriend just bought a 2014 wrangler sport unlimited 4door. dealer had installed a 3.5 rough country lift and added 35x12.5x17 fierce attitude tires. as expected it rode a little rough with the big tires and mpg was bad. but... it ran all over the road and darted left and right. we called the dealer and got the "well that's the way they drive" routine. changed tires to toyo at 285x70x17, drove some better but still darted. had an alignment done and it still darts. just took it back to the dealer today and got a total blow off. that's how jeeps drive they say. I say its a roll over waiting to happen and if this is how jeeps drive,,,,, how the heck do they sell them for what the cost. so.... I need help. do new jeeps drive like u are riding a spooky horse or is this dealer trying to take advantage of a female customer?? any input is welcome.
The dealer is either a liar or has no clue. Probably both.

It is going to be hard to help you diagnose the problem without specifics.

1. Which Toyo tire did you buy?
2. What PSI are you running? Should be roughly 30 psi.
3. I would suggest posting up some good clear pictures of the front and rear suspension so we can see what you have.
4. You should post this thread in the "JK Technical" forum. You will get a lot more help there.

In the mean time - welcome to the forum.
PhatBasturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

35 tires on a Rough Country lift. Nuff said. How well was the lift put in? Move toward 30 tires and stock suspension would be the first move if it was me.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #5
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman
35 tires on a Rough Country lift. Nuff said. How well was the lift put in? Move toward 30 tires and stock suspension would be the first move if it was me.
It was a dealer installed lift...I would say it was put on correctly. Not by a "web wheeler". OP your TOE is out. That's it..I see it all the time. A dealer does not have the correct equipment to put it to the correct specs. I have so many modified Jeeps on my lot. All done correctly. From 33" tires to 40's. A big tire will follow the grooves in a road for sure. You need to get it done professionally at a Off Road shop that has the equipment. If you don't do it soon it will mess with your steering box. And when you do get it corrected you will have nothing but play in your steering..,

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
JVoJeep
2014 JK Wrangler 

I test drove a jeep unlimited sport S last week with a 4inch lift and a 35 inch tires. It did the same thing you are experiencing. I could not get the jeep over 60mph without it feeling very unsafe. That being stated, I test drove a jeep with a 2in lift and 33 inch tires and it road almost as smooth as the factory tires and suspension. I was able to cruise at 75/80mph with no swaying/darting of the jeep left or right. my experience from what the dealer told me as others have stated, its the size of the lift and your tires that are causing the darting of the jeep because it follows the grooves in the road very easily.
JVoJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.