HELP! Need to get a Jeep on a budget.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > HELP! Need to get a Jeep on a budget..

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-27-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
MTZJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

HELP! Need to get a Jeep on a budget..

I'm Arnold, I'm new to the forum, and I think its great, I will become a sponsor as soon as I finish the academy. Anyway, I owned a 92' Jeep Wrangler YJ, Which I sold after my divorce. I am now reconciled with my wife, and I am wanting to get back in the game! I have about a $10K budget, but I want to get something newer, more dependable. How much of a difference is there between the 4 cylinder and In. 6 in the TJ models? Im looking to get a 2000 or newer model. Id really like the longer wheelbase Wrangler. Is it unrealistic with my budget? Stock or modified? What do you guys recommend? Thank you.

MTZJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
lordryan93gt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

always buy stock. you don't want no ones project. who knows the quality and workmanship has been put to the jeep. and you will probably want that extra hp, not sure what your goal is for the rig. but you can't go wrong with the six.. good luck with the hunt.
lordryan93gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 01:36 AM   #3
MTZJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice brother. I did forget to mention what my goal was. My goal would be to have a daily driver, but be ready to go anywhere. Im not going to go too crazy with the suspension and tires. Im thinking a 4 inch lift, and 33s. I just wasnt sure if the power difference was significant between the 4cyl and the 6..
Unread 12-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordryan93gt View Post
always buy stock. you don't want no ones project. who knows the quality and workmanship has been put to the jeep. and you will probably want that extra hp, not sure what your goal is for the rig. but you can't go wrong with the six.. good luck with the hunt.
This is exactly correct! Never buy a modified unit.

If you are going to use it as a daily driver, I would not lift at all. Unless you are going to rock crawl on a weekly basis, I see no need to throw your money into a lift that will in the long run depreciate the value of the Jeep.

Get the six.

Check for rust in detail. Especially the tub and frame.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
MTZJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks a lot for the advice, I will be getting a 6. I plan on going off roading every week, since I live on the foothills of Brekenridge Mtn, 8500ft+..
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Jlwilsonjr
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im in the exact same situation. I too want a TJ 2000+ year model. I'm not sure what the LJ's goes for in your area but I have not seen one lower than 12500, and they rarely pop up for sale. Like others have said it's best to by one as close as stock as possible that way you can make the jeep how you want it and know exactly what has been done to it. Good luck with your search.
Jlwilsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 12:45 AM   #7
MTZJeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah man, there aren't many that are under 12k here either. I am pretty much decided on a stock one, thank you all again for the great advice.
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #8
BeastOfBurden
1973 CJ5 

If you start with 'stock' you can always grow according and depending on budget and needs.
Buy a stock no frills and ad what YOU like.
BeastOfBurden is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.