Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

help me pick out a jeep please?

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  kjsteve 
#1 ·
OK I know nothing about jeeps other than I want one, could really use some help from you jeep people tho. So anticipating the kind of questions I would be asked let me say what I would want to use it for:

1)just running around locally, mostly on road but also it would be my go to snow vehicle and possibly use it from some light trail riding and hunting.
2)id want something I could have a hardtop for winter as well as soft top and or no top for summer time.
3)id be buying something used but id want it to be fairly new so I could trick it out with some of the new cool aftermarket goodies (lift kit, fenders, lights, cool front bumper with winch etc).
4)budget would probably be about 15k at the most, preferably closer to 10
5) it wouldn't be my primary vehicle

so what say you? What models and what years to look for, and/or stay away from?

#4 ·
thanks for the link jakobi

lawdog, I don't guess the year really matters. I mean id like it to be as new as possible as long as it meets the criteria im looking for, from a reliability/maintenance stand point. But since this is going to be more of a toy than anything, if I found one I liked with everything I wanted in good shape then 6 or 10 or even 15 years old probably wouldn't matter.

#7 ·
I think you are going to want a 98-2002 TJ with a 6 cylinder. As far as I can tell, it would meet all of your requirements below. In my area (not sure where you live) you can get a very nice one for somewhere around 10 grand. If you want to spend some more money you can upgrade to a newer TJ 2002-2006. I probably would not if I were you. Nothing wrong with them at all, but you are going to pay more and we all have a budget.

1)just running around locally, mostly on road but also it would be my go to snow vehicle and possibly use it from some light trail riding and hunting. YES
2)id want something I could have a hardtop for winter as well as soft top and or no top for summer time. YES
3)id be buying something used but id want it to be fairly new so I could trick it out with some of the new cool aftermarket goodies (lift kit, fenders, lights, cool front bumper with winch etc). YES
4)budget would probably be about 15k at the most, preferably closer to 10 YES
5) it wouldn't be my primary vehicle YES

#10 ·
scotty, yes, yes, yes, the strait six is what you want. not sure the tj has a 4 cyl. easy to rebuild, i am told. i would look down in the southern salt free states for one. the one ting you want to check is underneath and see how hard it was used for off road. spend 10 grand and use the 5 grand for any repairs that come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.