Help me find my first Jeep/SUV? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Help me find my first Jeep/SUV?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-20-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm looking for an experienced opinions as I haven't dealt with Jeeps before. Doesn't mean that I'm not using any of the advice, but I'm seeing outrageous prices everywhere just because winter is coming. I'm seeing 200k mile jeeps with asking prices of $4,400. Most are at the 5-6k range currently. From what I've seen of them, is that they have leaky gaskets and worn running gear stuff. I'm going to want to have everything nicely rebuilt before I start putting a lift and stuff into the Jeep, which is even more cash.

indeepwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
Adam013085

Have you considered broadening your search radius? Jeeps within 50 miles of my are all overpriced crap but when i broadened by range 100 miles there were quite a few well priced decent jeeps available.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #33
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah I've been looking within 150 miles. I've been looking for about two months checking online every day. I've been trying to buy one before this ski season. I also don't have a garage and I don't want buy something I'd be wrenching right after I bought it in the cold rain. That's the only reason I'm leaning towards that, I know it's overpriced :/

My car doesn't do well with cables or the snow

Last edited by indeepwithajeep; 11-20-2013 at 02:33 PM..
Unread 11-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #34
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

That 99' was a wreck mechancially..
Unread 11-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #35
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

90' w/ just under 170k asking $3k.
It has...
Newer brakes front and rear including new master cylinder, drilled and slotted front rotors, new pads and shoes, New front calipers with metal pistons (factory are plastic), and new soft front brake lines.
BF Goodrich All Terrain TA tires with under 3,000 miles.
Skyjacker Nitro 8000 front shocks, Air shocks in the rear.
Mac's Aluminum surge tank
Dynomax turbo catback
Powder coated aluminum diamond plate body rocker panels.
Rugged Ridge custom front floor mats.

Seems like it's been owned by someone that knows what they're doing.. However the rocker panel thing has me wondering if something happened to it.

Unread 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #36
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Okay I'm looking at this 96' w/ 100k, and they're asking $3200

The bad

Driver side front window needs some pushing to roll down
Locks tend to stick except for DS front door
miscellaneous body dings, scratches, few dents
AC leaks out, cannot find the leak
heater is a bit noisy
rear windshield fluid dispenser is busted near the wiper
center console is missing the cover
interior carpet has some spots
no owners manual

Anyone happen to have a carfax? The only thing I worry about is the heater, not sure how extensive of a fix that would be (ex. pulling the dash).
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #37
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I think I found it. I looked at it a little over a month ago. It has 130k and has been the best car I've looked at so far. Interior and exterior is a 9/10. Oil leak on the oil filter adapter (my best guess), but I doubt I'll find a 4.0L that doesn't leak some oil. When I pulled the oil cap, everything looked great. The only thing that really turned me off was the idiot cluster. However it's a 98' and read it's an easy swap. How much roughly would I have to pay someone to set the mileage from another cluster to match the car?

I'm going to go look at it again tomorrow! If all goes well I'll own my first Jeep
Unread 11-27-2013, 11:04 PM   #38
indeepwithajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's mine!
Unread 11-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #39
fastfreddie

Congrats!
I had no issues with my '98, other than rolling it.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.