Help Me Decide WJ Vs. XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Help Me Decide WJ Vs. XJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

Help Me Decide WJ Vs. XJ

So I'm a wrangler guy, I've had a TJ and currently have an LJ. I am in the process of selling my LJ because I just had a youngin and am looking to have a 4-door vehicle. I cannot afford a JK so that is off the table. I am looking into getting a WJ or XJ as daily driver and wheeler. Help me decide which.

If I get a WJ I want a Laredo, so the components will be similar no matter if I get the WJ or XJ. So in my mind here are the pro's and con's.

WJ Pros
-Newer vehicle, lower miles, I am looking at the 2004 year model
-Rides better (so I've been told)
-Slightly bigger, more cargo room
-More rigid unibody
-Seems I can run a 3" lift, and squeeze some 32's with no SYE (based on research)

WJ Cons:
-Laredo has a D35 rear axle.
-Doesn't seem to have the aftermarket support that a XJ has.

XJ Pros
-Cheaper
-More aftermarket support, which means more bolt on stuff for a guy like me
-Better off-road??
-More aftermarket support means I can build a meaner vehicle easier
-Chrysler 8.25 axle

XJ Cons
-Cheaper as far as construction (I've had an XJ before, thing rattled like a can)
-00 and 01 has head issues, so that puts me looking for a 99
-Unibody seems to flex more

This ride will be seeing 95% on road, hitting some trails 4-6 times a year but when I go I like to play hard. I think I have decided on a WJ but am open to having my mind changed.

Short term Build plan:
2004 WJ Laredo
3" IRO Lift (maybe some hybrid parts in there, such as JKS trac bar and such)
JCR Rock Rails
"Lunch box locker" in the D30. Leave the 35 stock.
JK Rubi take off 32" wheels and tires (with spacers)

Second phase would be:
Custom front and rear bumper with winch and tire carrier
Gears and upgraded axles (at least rear, maybe front)

Unread 04-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
red2black00
2000 WJ 

I have a wj and I love it. Like any other vehicle it has it's quirks. I like xjs but the inside is to cramped for me but I'm also 6'5". I like all of the accessories the wj comes with it's just more comfortable for me as a dd. maybe a some one with a little more knowledge can chime in but I think the 4.0s with the tow package came with a d44 but I'm not sure.
red2black00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
cobra259
2006 WK 

I'd go with the WJ, much better ride, brakes, comfort. Lot LESS road noise as well.
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
WJake
2004 WJ 

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special edition which is exactly the same as Laredo except for bumper colors and sideskirt colors basically.

I like to off-road but I also daily drive 30 min to school one way, driving it's fine with a 3.5 inch lift and 32s with stock gears, and the toe package does give you a D44 in the rear which is nice.

The 32 inch tires will rub with a 3.5 inch on the stock bumper I trimmed less than a inch off barely anything and it fixed it but it now rubs on my fog light mount because I cut some of the splash guard out.

And with any lift on a grand expect to have to deal with death wobble new tie rod ends and track bar bushing and RC dual stabalizer fixed mine so be prepared for that if you go with the WJ.

Just some info on my build on my WJ, haven't worked on XJs but I wouldnt mind one myself
WJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Go WJ. There is alot of aftermarket support for them as far as lifts, bumpers and so forth. Iron Rock Offroad and more. Be careful of a "Lunch Box" locker. They are horrible in the winter. Everyone I know that has one removes it before winter if they use their Jeep as a DD too. They lock on a turn and with a slippery surface it will push you. Make a turn out of a stoplight in the winter and your turning it will push you straight. You will lose control of your steering. Just a heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-02-2014, 07:25 PM   #6
JeepinAaron
2003 WJ 

I bought a WJ. Build thread is in my sig.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.