Help Me decide between this YJ and CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Help Me decide between this YJ and CJ

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Grims
1983 CJ7 

Help Me decide between this YJ and CJ

I started looking for a CJ, because I love the look of that model (especially the dash). A friend of mine mentioned a YJ can be rather easily converted so I started looking into them as well.

The Jeep will be driven daily to work, but it is only a 5 miles commute. However it needs to be able to travel to wheeling destination on the highway, which is a minimum of a 300 mile drive.

Here my two strongest picks.

1985 Jeep CJ7
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4059678509.html

I have verified there is no frame rust on the CJ7, which a Jeep friend of mine says must be an act of God. the motor and tranny were rebuilt with the Clifford 6=8 setup and then only driven about 12k miles. Gears seem a little much for those tires, but I'd plan to go to 35s at some point which should help compensate some. Tub has two small rust areas under the Jeep insignia on each side.

1995 Jeep YJ
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3973992686.html

the YJ has a hard top and AC which i would put in the CJ before next summer. (Sorry guys, but I'm not tough enough for Houston traffic at 110 degrees) It has the 4.0 Straight 6, the ad says V6 by mistake.

He also texted me this additional info on it.

Quote:
+XXXXXXXXXXX: 5 speed stock Tcase with SYE kit Rubicon axles w/factory air lockers, 4.10 gears Alloy USA chromoly axle shafts front and rear Rockcrusher dif covers, 8:07 AM
+XXXXXXXXXXX: ORFab full cage, upgraded crossover steering, Dwayne disconnects Poison spyder rock sliders 8kike milemarker, swing out tire/gas carrier, bombproof 1" 8:07 AM
+XXXXXXXXXXX: lift motor mounts, cobra cb in security box mounted to cage, kc dayligters, smitty tube fenders, pioneer cd/radio, Bedliner inside Good ac/heat, new hy 8:08 AM
+XXXXXXXXXXX: draulics for clutch

Grims is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The YJ is the better deal. Carbs are a pain to deal with in off road rigs so I'd pass on the CJ...especially at that price.

The YJ appears to have been thoroughly abused. I would honestly pass on both and keep looking.

Have you considered a TJ? I've owned a CJ7,YJ, and three TJs over the past 20 years. The TJ is a superior vehicle. You can buy a comparably equipped TJ for the same price as those two rigs you posted.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Grims
1983 CJ7 

The TJ is an undeniably superior platform, but I don't want a TJ. I want something dead simple to work on, and the looks of a classic Jeep. I can't stand the plastic interior of the TJ & JKs. I worked the price down some on both of these listings, and they each have thousands of dollars in mods I would end up doing anyway.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Adam013085

Both rigs are way overpriced. For $11k you should be getting a completely restored CJ. Same goes with the YJ, for that price dont take someone elses project hackjob over.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
Grims
1983 CJ7 

It's possible the market is different in your areas. Both of these are priced fairly well for Jeeps with these modifications in this area.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Adam013085

If time permits why not fly elsewhere and save a few thousand? I know this is not an option for everyone. It wasn't for me when I was looking.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Grims
1983 CJ7 

I'd consider it if it was still a significant savings after taking into account airline tickets, and a potential cross country trip. So far I haven't found anything that would be worth it in the end...but if anyone has any suggestions I'm up to it.
Unread 09-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #8
Adam013085

You can find CJs in that shape priced 4-5k less around where I live and they are priced high here too judging by what others say on this forum. The YJ you could probably find about at half that price too.
Unread 09-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #9
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam013085 View Post
Both rigs are way overpriced. For $11k you should be getting a completely restored CJ. Same goes with the YJ, for that price dont take someone elses project hackjob over.
AMEN!!

Expand your search. Any Jeep in the deep south should be rust free if it was not "imported" from the land of salt roads. The YJ is a MUCH better platform than the CJ. Either way try to find a completely stock unit. Buying some other guys idea of what a Jeep should be can be a crap shoot. If you must modify, do it yourself and save yourself the hassle of trying to re-do mistakes and stupid ideas. Also, half the fun of owning a Jeep (a real one) is working on it, which is a good thing, because you are going to be spending about half of your time doing exactly that.
Amazingly, prices seem to rise as deer season approaches.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
YJjeeper90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grims
I started looking for a CJ, because I love the look of that model (especially the dash). A friend of mine mentioned a YJ can be rather easily converted so I started looking into them as well. The Jeep will be driven daily to work, but it is only a 5 miles commute. However it needs to be able to travel to wheeling destination on the highway, which is a minimum of a 300 mile drive. Here my two strongest picks. 1985 Jeep CJ7 http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4059678509.html I have verified there is no frame rust on the CJ7, which a Jeep friend of mine says must be an act of God. the motor and tranny were rebuilt with the Clifford 6=8 setup and then only driven about 12k miles. Gears seem a little much for those tires, but I'd plan to go to 35s at some point which should help compensate some. Tub has two small rust areas under the Jeep insignia on each side. 1995 Jeep YJ http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/3973992686.html the YJ has a hard top and AC which i would put in the CJ before next summer. (Sorry guys, but I'm not tough enough for Houston traffic at 110 degrees) It has the 4.0 Straight 6, the ad says V6 by mistake. He also texted me this additional info on it.
I have a 1990 YJ an I love it
Being fuel injected I would go with the YJ
Also 1994-95 YJs have galvanized tubs witch means no rust!
YJjeeper90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #11
Adam013085

94-95 may have galvanized tubs, but tub rust is easy to spot. Its the frame rot and everywhere else that can be tricky to spot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.