Good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Good deal?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-11-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
tydaddy

Good deal?

Hey guys,

I wasn't sure what forum to post this in, but I figured this would work. Mod's please move if incorrect forum. I'm looking to purchase my first jeep. I was looking for an early TJ but came across a 93 YJ with pretty good modifications - from what I've been able to research. I won't be doing a lot of off roading, basically cruising, a rig for my dogs that I don't have to worry about getting dirty and hairy, and transportation for the lady in the winter if things get crazy like they did this year. I think it's a pretty good deal, but figured you guys would know better than I. Should I pull the trigger at $3500?

Here is the description...

93 Wrangler Sahara. 247000 miles. Engine was replaced at 130000.

4.0 6 cylinder
5 speed
HP Dana 30, 760 u joints, Aussie locker
Ford 8.8 rear axle swap with disc brakes, open
4.10 gears
OME 2.5 inch lift
1 inch Body lift
15x8 Cragar Soft 8 wheels with 31x10.50 inch tires
Bestop Supertop with full soft doors
Comes with a hard top and full steel doors but they need to be freshened up (interior panels and paint on the doors and the hardtop could use fresh paint as well)
Smittybilt tube fenders with LED turn signals
A to Z Fabrication front basic bumper and rock sliders with step
Procomp rear bumper with d-ring mounts and integrated 2" hitch receiver
Bestop Highrock tire carrier with full size spare and matching rim
Brown Dog 1 inch motor mount lift with rubber bushings
ES transmission mount

Drivetrain can handle up to a 35" tire

New radiator and hoses, tie rods, steering shaft and bearing, heavy duty ball joints, all new u joints, Every engine sensor was replaced recently, distributor cap and rotor, plugs and wires, new brake pads and rotors all around, fan clutch, etc.

4x4 works flawlessly. Shifts great. I consistently get 17-18 mpg. It's geared properly for the tire size. All lights and gauges work correctly. Few rust spots but the frame is solid. Has way more done to it than I can list here. Many new parts. Daily driven and reliable.

Also, the windshield/frame could use replacing, and one of the rear shock mounts broke/rusted off and will need to be replaced. Replacement comes with the jeep.

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Tyler

tydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of miles. Lots and lots of miles. BUT rust is your enemy. If a shock mount rusted off, then you have a bunch more problems that you can't see. I won't even get into the mods here. I wouldn't buy on the rust issue alone.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

^^^what's with you and rust??? How about real info??? Like these gears suck, sensor issues on this year or that. The lockers in a stock Rubi suck and so forth. Every comment is Rust.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by R U STUCK View Post
^^^what's with you and rust??? How about real info??? Like these gears suck, sensor issues on this year or that. The lockers in a stock Rubi suck and so forth. Every comment is Rust.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
You don't need "real info" if the damned frame is flaking apart. Rust, especially in the north is the #1 destroyer of jeeps. Way more are lost to rust than to mechanical malfunctions. This is why I harp on the subject. If the jeep can pass a rust inspection by the buyer, THEN and only then, should the purchaser move on to gears, sensors, lockers, engines, lifts. Many of the people coming to this forum are newbies who have never crawled under a vehicle in their life. Many are people new to the jeeps altogether and don't understand how rust prone jeeps are. Most don't know the expense involved in repairing a rusted out frame. Many sellers go to great lengths to cover up rust.
For these and other reasons I am trying to help the uninitiated jeep buyer not have a bad experience with their purchase. I will continue to do so.
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
You don't need "real info" if the damned frame is flaking apart. Rust, especially in the north is the #1 destroyer of jeeps. Way more are lost to rust than to mechanical malfunctions. This is why I harp on the subject. If the jeep can pass a rust inspection by the buyer, THEN and only then, should the purchaser move on to gears, sensors, lockers, engines, lifts. Many of the people coming to this forum are newbies who have never crawled under a vehicle in their life. Many are people new to the jeeps altogether and don't understand how rust prone jeeps are. Most don't know the expense involved in repairing a rusted out frame. Many sellers go to great lengths to cover up rust.
For these and other reasons I am trying to help the uninitiated jeep buyer not have a bad experience with their purchase. I will continue to do so.
true facts.

BUT how many of the same people would be able to check enough to be very sure that it is not rusted out on frame and the tub? Or maybe has a half a$$ repair job and then was covered with bed liner to make it look good?. Most people today can hardly check the oil. No Offense to the OP. As i have no idea what you can or can not inspect.

I see bed liner its a red flag. I would bring a awle if it can poke through its toast. but you have to get on ground and crawl and poke around. Many sellers would not like me. My wife don't like me
Unread 05-14-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
true facts.

BUT how many of the same people would be able to check enough to be very sure that it is not rusted out on frame and the tub? Or maybe has a half a$$ repair job and then was covered with bed liner to make it look good?. Most people today can hardly check the oil.

I see bed liner its a red flag. I would bring a awle if it can poke through its toast. but you have to get on ground and crawl and poke around. Many sellers would not like me. My wife don't like me
^^^^ All very true also. The majority today don't know about the used car con artist that thrived in this nation fifty years ago. Rolled back or replaced speedometers, undercoatings that covered rusted out junk, plastic filled body panels covered by an "all new" paint job, re-grooved tires, and on and on. Today the dealerships are much better, but the junk is still being sold to unsuspecting buyers, especially on the Internet. I'm just saying' "watch out".
Unread 05-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #7
redman333
2001 TJ Wrangler 

True about rust. I live at the beach and worked for a Nissan dealership. They were generally pretty good with their used cars but there were a couple times we sprayed the crap out of the bottom of a 4wd because it was covered with rust. When we got done it looked brand new under either. Even I may had been fooled if I got under and looked. Rust sucks. I hate repairs for it and they can get very time consuming and costly.
redman333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.