Is this a good deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Is this a good deal?

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Mustangt125

Is this a good deal?

Hey all, new here and looking for some help. I am scouring the internet for a good deal and feel I may have found one so let me know what you think of this vehicle.

* The link button doesn't appear to work well, so here's the URL: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

I like the Grand Cherokee, any body type, with the 1999-2004 body. But I am hesitant to buy anything with more than 100,000 miles on it.

I have a few grand to put toward it so my payments wouldn't be toward the full price and would be lowered. But do you think $9,700 is a good price for 83,000 miles?

I'm having a tough time finding one with all the stuff I want. I want the V8 4WD for sure, other than that though I am pretty open (again, under 100k imles). And it's the Overland edition so doesn't that bring added features?

Cars.com does have free CarFax but I haven't checked that out yet, just wondering in general if this is a good deal.

Thanks in advance!

Mustangt125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #2
Bowson

Look it up on NADA for the retail value of what you might expect to pay. Price seems a little high, but then again....its from a dealer. If you bought via independent party, it'd be cheaper but there would also be a level of uncertainty.

I personally would pay a little premium for a nice, reliable, good conditioned Jeep.
Bowson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
Mustangt125

Thanks for the reply. Good call on the NADA.

Looks like according to NADA an '04 Overland with the features should be around $8,000.

I dont know if I could live with myself if I were to pay $2,000 more than what is considered reasonable. That's almost a 25% mark up....

Thoughts?
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
Adam013085

You can always go talk them down. I doubt they come down 2k on a vehicle though but won't hurt to look and ask. Keep in mind most banks won't loan on an 04 and if they do it will probably be a pretty high interest rate. I got lucky and my local credit union does it back to 04 right now but that was the only bank I could find for a reasonable rate (2.25%) the rest were personal loans starting at 10 or so %
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Mustangt125

I suppose what this thread boils down to is, would you guys consider buying that vehicle at that price?

I'm 26 and this will be the first vehicle im buying on my own. I understand that with the miles on it there won't be any resale value and whatever vehicle I buy I plan to drive for a long time. With that idea in mind, is this a decent deal?
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
Adam013085

No. I don't know much about Grand Cherokees but I'd never pay over NADA or KBB for any used vehicle. There are too many other deals out there.
Unread 02-06-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Bowson

I'd pass personally.
To be honest, don't be scared of a Jeep with miles over 100k. I'm in the same boat as you and looking for 00-04 Jeeps with around 100k miles. If the Jeep was taken care for, then it should last a good 250+ miles (from what I have seen).
Help for searching for Jeeps: Look at surrounding cities on Craigslist. Look on autotrader/cars.com. Look on Ebay. Jeeps posted every hour so just keep looking and be patient.
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Mustangt125

Great thanks everybody. I'll keep looking.

Bowson, do you have prior experience buying Jeeps? What is the price range that you would feel comfortable paying for an 00-04 Jeep with ~100k miles?
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #9
Bowson

I don't have experience, but I have been looking around for the past 2 weeks extensively.
Depends on the model/engine/interior/miles, etc. If I find a Jeep owned by someone who took care of it, then I don't mind paying a pretty penny. Something about piece of mind....can't put a price on that. I would say anywhere in between $4,500 - $6,500 would be a good range depending on year/options, etc.
Honestly, I'd pay extra for something that was dealer maintained/serviced, garage kept, low miles, all options, etc.

Answer: it all depends.
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
Mustangt125

Alright great. I'm doing some more research and checking out some other options.

We should sticky a thread in here called something "Buying Help: Is This A Good Deal" where people with questions can just post a link to the vehicle in question and let people answer below, that way people won't necessarily be starting new threads for every vehicle they have a question on....Just a thought
Unread 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM   #11
Adam013085

A sticky won't help people will still ask the same questions. There is a search feature that answers 99.9% of anyones buying questions. Good deals are a matter of opinion for the most part anyway.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.