Good deal on 2005 Wrangler X? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Good deal on 2005 Wrangler X?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-27-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Good deal on 2005 Wrangler X?

My first post here!

So I am looking at getting a 2005 Wrangler, I found a wrangler X with ~3000 miles on it, the dealer is asking 16k. Is this a decent deal? It has the Subwoofer,6 Speed, AC, 4.0 L6, cruise, CD, etc. Is this a good price or what should my target price be? I am looking to pull the trigger soon here so any help would be appreciated.

smoothop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Is this a terrible deal? I am assuming there are no responses because I am getting shafted.
Unread 12-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I would check blue book and autotrader.com for local prices. Also does it come with hard or soft top, hard top is always worth more. I personaly don't care for standard trany when offroading and an auto trany is also worth more. Other then that 3k miles for 16k does not sound bad for an 05. Last but not least just cause they are asking 16k does not mean they wont take 14,500 for it, good luck to you.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the response, I have been looking at blue book and auto trader prices, and in my area Dealer retail is around 16-17k. A lot of the Jeeps I see (pp locally) have been modified, and I really just want a bone stock wrangler. This one has a soft top. I was thinking about going for a JK for just a couple grand more. I did some research and it seems like this Jeep has been sitting for 52 days at the lot. This jeep was registered for the first time in 2007. It has had 3 owners and two of them for less than a month (is this a red flag? I got this information from carfax)

With regards to the automatic transmission, I am thinking it could be an added expense with maintenance. This jeep will be used for some light wheeling. I offered $15500 shipped to my house (from the east coast) if they don't accept that offer I am thinking I might be better off getting a stripped down 07/08 Wrangler X.
Unread 12-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
Chilly
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have done some reading on the JK and there have been reported problems with the hard tops leaking and also electrical problems. Personally I would stay the 4.0 straight six over the new 3.8 mini van V6. I was told the changed motors in the JK cause uncle sam is pressuring the car manufactures to make greener engines and the 4.0 straight six is known to burn more oil when it gets older. Although the 4.0 is a stronger motor and is known to last up to 500,000 miles this is why I bought a 2005 LJ instead of a JK. But please if you are unsure just do some research on your own before taking the advice of a stranger

As far as that 2005 TJ sitting on the lot for a couple months I don't think it's a big deal since mine was on the lot for over 6 months. I did talk them into a 1 moth 1,000 mile warranty and it's a good thing I did cause it had a death wobble when I drove it home. I took it back and they replaced my track bar and it runs great now.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #6
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Yes, I have been doing research on the JK vs TJ for a long time now. I first was going to get a JK but decided I would rather have a Jeep with a lot less electronics that may go wrong in the future. I had a 1990 Jeep Cherokee before and that thing leaked like from every seal by 170k. So I was kinda skeptical to go for another L6. After going on a couple test drives with the H.O TJ's and JK's, hands down the TJ feels more powerful. At lower revs there is a lot more torque(which is more useful for the way I drive). Only problem is I only want a TJ in one color Jeep Green.

A part of me thinks I am being kind of stupid, since I could get a new JK for 1-2k more than a 3 year old TJ. But over the long haul there is no doubt in my mind that the TJ will last longer than the JK. I just hope the L6 doesnt leak as badly as my old non-h.o L6.
Unread 12-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
forcecop
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothop
With regards to the automatic transmission, I am thinking it could be an added expense with maintenance. This jeep will be used for some light wheeling. I offered $15500 shipped to my house (from the east coast) if they don't accept that offer I am thinking I might be better off getting a stripped down 07/08 Wrangler X.
If you haven't driven it, don't buy it. You already stated that there were two owners, for less than a month on that vehicle. Don't have it shipped out, when you have no idea of why those people got rid of the X so quickly.

If you offered 15,500 and they have to eat the cost of shipping, they aren't going to sell. Look for something local, you'll find a good deal.
forcecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:44 AM   #8
HighCountry
1986 CJ7 

Ummm... Wonder when my '95 4.0 with 240,000 mile is going to start using oil and leaking? Seriously guys, it all is up to the owner and how well he maintains the vehicle. I would rather have a well maintained specimen with 150,000 miles than one that had been neglected for 15,000.
HighCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM   #9
smoothop
1978 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice everyone, it seems like the dealer is not budging from their price, I guess its time to look at some local jeeps. Last day of the year and no jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.