first timer/newbie buying -

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 04-04-2014, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
first timer/newbie buying

Hi all,

i'm interested in purchasing my first jeep. My ideal jeep is a wrangler, but I'm going to wait on that for about two years. I'm interested in purchasing either a wrangler OR a liberty to start off with. I'm looking on craigslist for Tallahassee and see a few options. I have no idea what to look for, how many miles are too many, etc. I'm not a car savvy girl, don't know much about cars at all. I'm finding roughly 5000$ and under and for mileage anywhere from 120k-160k. I don't want a project car at all. I want something that is going to be reliable with the regular maintenance needs. Please give me your advice.

Also have seen some "engine rebuilds"...are those bad news?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM
1998 XJ Cherokee 
the mileage all depends on how well the engine has been taken care of. i'll admit that i'm not too knowledgable on the post 2000 setups, but if you're looking at a 90's wrangler with the 4.0, 150k miles isn't anything if it's been kept up properly. i have a buddy with a 91 wrangler 4.0. the thing's pushing 400k miles and still going stong because he takes care of it. preventative maintenance is the key to a long lasting engine. engine rebuilds aren't generally a bad thing given that the mechanic knew what he or she was doing.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM
1989 YJ Wrangler 
Before you buy ANYTHING read this:

Buying something like a jeep with no knowledge of the product is just asking to be taken to the cleaners. The more you learn, the better your purchase and the less it will cost you.

Hey guys, there is NO SUCH THING as RPMS. There is NO "S" in RPM.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but not nearly as much as ignorance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.