first timer/newbie buying - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > first timer/newbie buying

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 04-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
octobersongs

first timer/newbie buying

Hi all,

i'm interested in purchasing my first jeep. My ideal jeep is a wrangler, but I'm going to wait on that for about two years. I'm interested in purchasing either a wrangler OR a liberty to start off with. I'm looking on craigslist for Tallahassee and see a few options. I have no idea what to look for, how many miles are too many, etc. I'm not a car savvy girl, don't know much about cars at all. I'm finding roughly 5000$ and under and for mileage anywhere from 120k-160k. I don't want a project car at all. I want something that is going to be reliable with the regular maintenance needs. Please give me your advice.

Also have seen some "engine rebuilds"...are those bad news?

octobersongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #2
syphonation
1982 CJ8 

the mileage all depends on how well the engine has been taken care of. i'll admit that i'm not too knowledgable on the post 2000 setups, but if you're looking at a 90's wrangler with the 4.0, 150k miles isn't anything if it's been kept up properly. i have a buddy with a 91 wrangler 4.0. the thing's pushing 400k miles and still going stong because he takes care of it. preventative maintenance is the key to a long lasting engine. engine rebuilds aren't generally a bad thing given that the mechanic knew what he or she was doing.
syphonation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 10:41 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before you buy ANYTHING read this:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...t-here-523324/

Buying something like a jeep with no knowledge of the product is just asking to be taken to the cleaners. The more you learn, the better your purchase and the less it will cost you.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.