First time Jepp buyer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First time Jepp buyer

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #1
seabeejojo

First time Jepp buyer

I have never owned a Jepp before, but I know I want one. A Wrangler. From what I've read the TJ's are probably the way to go. I don't know how to drive a manual very well, so are the transmissions and gear box forgiving? What would be a decent price range? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated folks!

seabeejojo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

First of all, read everything here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f165/...t-here-523324/

After you get through with that, you probably will have some questions. At that point we might be able to help you, but asking "What would be a decent price range?" without knowing the model or the year would be like asking "What does a car cost?".

Read up and let us know.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
seabeejojo

K did my research and got more informed. Sorry I didn't post specifics. Recently I looked at an '03 Sport 5 speed for $11k with 108K miles. Seemed like a really good deal. Also saw '10s and '11s for about $21K, all automatic, all about 65K-70K miles. Do these prives sound reasonable for Southern CA? I really do want a Wrangler. I am moving back to the east coast and would want a fun 4X4 for the hills and winters.
Unread 12-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
seabeejojo

Ok hows this sound for $7200

Quote:
1999 Jeep Wrangler. 117.000 miles Green with tan hard top.Am/ Fm cd.ps pb.ac blows cold airFive speed manual trans. Four cylinder eng.. All stock factory aluminum wheels. Good tires. Tan interior very clean. Paint and Body in great shape. Over all condition is very good. This jeep needs nothing I would drive it across country with out any hesitation. This jeep is extremly reliable
Unread 12-06-2013, 06:33 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabeejojo View Post
K did my research and got more informed. Sorry I didn't post specifics. Recently I looked at an '03 Sport 5 speed for $11k with 108K miles. Seemed like a really good deal. Also saw '10s and '11s for about $21K, all automatic, all about 65K-70K miles. Do these prives sound reasonable for Southern CA? I really do want a Wrangler. I am moving back to the east coast and would want a fun 4X4 for the hills and winters.
For pricing in your area look to Edmunds or Kellys Blue Book for information.

If you are moving to the east coast where they salt, by all means buy a completely rust free California car. Do not wait to try to buy one on the east coast where rust free units are few and far between.
Other than rust, stay away from modified Jeeps. Buy completely stock if at all possible. The 4.0 six cylinder is much preferred over the 2.5 four, but I have owned two four cylinder jeeps which have been very reliable.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

To address the other part of your question: I have owned two manual transmission Jeeps (05 TJ and 07 JKU Sahara) and have driven several other manual transmission cars.

Jeeps are really easy to learn on, at least in my experience. Much more forgiving than my mom's Chevy Cavalier or the old Saturn I drove in college.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
seabeejojo

I really appreciate everyone's input, please keep it coming.
Unread 12-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jeeps are definitely easy to learn on, I'd been trying to learn on an Evo and a Saturn Coupe when I found my first Jeep (94 YJ) and I was so worried I wouldn't be able to get off the lot since I could barely drive stick and I was amazed at how much easier the Jeep was. The clutch on my TJ catches much better than the YJ ever did (lots of factors), but I think mostly it's because you really have to rev the Jeep to get the weight of it moving so once you're moving it's just knowing when to shift, how long to leave the clutch in.

If I can offer any advice on the first purchase...don't worry about color, I know that sounds stupid but I passed over a great deal on a jeep with diarrhea color interior with such low miles and I always regret it,lol. I'd always suggest something under 100k unless it's had recent general service, brakes, diff fluid change, rms, battery, radiator, etc. All those things seemed to hit my TJ right at 100k. Be less concerned with tires/wheels you can find them easily enough on craigslist, same for "new soft tops" and seat covers, don't let them make up your mind, focus on the mechanicals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.