First Jeep. Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Jeep. Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
Icecoldramfan

First Jeep. Seems like a pretty good deal. Thoughts?

05 SE with 120k. 4.0 liter. 6spd. Only has the soft top. Black color, new tires and rims. Going to look at tomorrow and seller says only issue is it has a hard time shifting into 4th gear. Price seems pretty good. $7900. Anyone have some thoughts.

Icecoldramfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I suggest doing some research to determine the cost of a transmission rebuild. I bet the $7900 purchase price will actually be above $10M after you address the transmission issue.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
Icecoldramfan

Thanks Duck Dr. Called local Jeep dealer and got rough quote of $2000 for rebuild and $3000 new. Probably done cheaper with independent mechanic but still alot more than the $700 seller told me it would cost to repair. Maybe you can repair for that but who knows what else is wrong.
Icecoldramfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
BeastOfBurden
1973 CJ5 

if you remotely sense that the cost will be greater then go with your senses.
Going in on a used car, especially a 4X4 is always an uneasy proposition.
BeastOfBurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecoldramfan View Post
Thanks Duck Dr. Called local Jeep dealer and got rough quote of $2000 for rebuild and $3000 new. Probably done cheaper with independent mechanic but still alot more than the $700 seller told me it would cost to repair. Maybe you can repair for that but who knows what else is wrong.
The seller has already shown that he is willing to lie to you about the transmission repair cost. What else could he be lying about?
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.