First Jeep, no idea what I'm doing! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Jeep, no idea what I'm doing!

Advance Adapters SYE Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 10-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
Abouna

First Jeep, no idea what I'm doing!

OK, we're looking for our first Jeep. We know we want a wrangler, 6cyl, Auto. That's all I know!

We found what seems to be a decent deal on a local lot.

2000 Sahara
Auto
6cyl
49,000 mi.
Asking $11,900.00

First, I think the price is way too high. Yes, it has low miles, but it's not mint either. Some interior problems, not major but the dash needs a little repair and one external mirror is broken. It's also got a bunch of camo wrap on it that needs to be removed!

My big issue though is that I have no idea how these drive. I'm prepared for short wheel base BUT the steering is very "mushy" kind of slow to respond feeling. Is this normal? Just doesn't seem very "positive".

Abouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

walk away it would have to be showroom for that kind of money. Rarely does "good deal" and dealer go in the same sentence.

The best bet is to buy from a private seller, it will save you $, you will know the service history and possibly get receipts, and you can get a better judgement of how the vehicle was treated.
Unread 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #3
Abouna

My thoughts too.

What about the steering, is this normal or does it indicate something is wrong? I know enough about cars to know what steering should feel like, but I know nothnig about Jeeps and thought perhaps they are different.
Abouna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would go look at every jeep you're interested in even if the price is too high, just so you can get an idea of how they ride.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abouna View Post
My thoughts too.

What about the steering, is this normal or does it indicate something is wrong? I know enough about cars to know what steering should feel like, but I know nothnig about Jeeps and thought perhaps they are different.
Steering should be responsive. Could be worn tire rod ends.
Duck Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Read, read, read. It is a lot easier on everyone if you obtain knowledge before you obtain a piece of junk. Also you will learn what to look for and avoid. This forum is a very good start. In my opinion: Rust is the number one problem with jeeps. Know enough to crawl under one and inspect carefully. Know where to look and what to look for. If there is no rust (anywhere) then: Make sure that the vehicle is as stock as possible. A 2.5 liter on 33 tires is a dog you will never be happy with. A 2.5 liter on stock tires will get you around just fine. Stay away from mountains though. The problems with modified jeeps is that you don't know who did the modification, what kind of lifts were used, or if the modifier was an idiot. Unless you are an expert, and I mean expert, on lifts and modifications, leave 'em alone.
Drive a bunch of them. Haunt Craigslist and the local dealers. All wranglers are rough riders. If you are going long distances on a regular basis, find something else. I had a college aged niece who had to have and jeep and yet she sold it within the year. Why? Because it rode too roughly for her. How come she didn't know that before she spent a wad of her fathers money?
The search is almost as much fun as owning one. Don't be fooled by a paint job or shiny wheels. Use your brain.

Last edited by WDNewman; 10-31-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: grammer correction
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A lesson from house shopping. Look at a hundred, buy one. And WDNewman is right. Read, read, read.

A Jeep is a better riding tractor as opposed to an average sedan.

Learn what to avoid in terms of buying catalog accessories. There is a whole lot of "dress up" stuff on the market. Ten $100 purchases are easy to make thinking that one is customizing their Jeep but three $1000 purchases to change the performance? Not so easy.

Look up the "Worst mods" thread.

To include in your budget of purchasing said Jeep:
Factory Service Manual
Air compressor/air tools
Quality floor jack/jack stands
Quality Torx bit set
Quality socket sets- both metric and standard
Quality Digital Multi-meter
and possibly even a Scan Tool.

Otherwise, you will be paying shop labor to diagnose and fix your Jeep. Generally speaking, parts are cheap for Jeeps. Mechanic labor is not.
irnmadn88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post

A Jeep is a better riding tractor as opposed to an average sedan.

Actually my tractor rides better than my YJ!
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.