First Jeep Buying Advice - $5k or less - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Jeep Buying Advice - $5k or less

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-28-2007, 02:03 PM   #1
sithlord
1998 ZJ 

First Jeep Buying Advice - $5k or less

I'm looking to pick up a second vehicle for my household. I want a Wrangler because I think it would be fun to drive and do some light, very occassional trail driving. It will probably only get driven 1 - 2 times per week, and then we will probably tow it behind our RV when camping.

I don't want to spend a ton of cash, I'm trying to go no higher than about $5k, so obviously I'm going for an older one. I like the idea of getting a 97 because of the upgraded suspension, the airbags, anti-lock breaks, etc. I'm finding a few 97's in that price range, and I honestly don't care much about how it looks if it's mechanically solid.

My question is should I stick with trying to find a 97 in that price range, or should I go for an older one? I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, so most repairs I'll probably have to take somewhere to get done. This may make my endeavour a foolish one from the get-go.

Discuss!

Thanks,

K

sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM   #2
tj99
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a 98 for under $5K. It took a little looking to find one that I liked. I would have preferred the 4.0L and an automatic but couldn't find one in that price range that was worth buying.

BTW, not all TJ's (97 - 06) have antilock brakes. Neither of mine do. The 99 has the optional (at that time at least) key shut off for the passenger airbag.

Having both a 6 cylinder auto and a 4 cylinder stick the 4 cylinder isn't to bad for around town. Haven't wheeled the 4 cylinder yet so I can't speak to that side.
2014 JKU - Wifes
tj99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Condition means more than age. How it's been driven and maintained is everything.

Find a mechanic to deal with personally, not a chain store or dealer. One that will tell you what repairs need to be done and which can wait, and to look over you potential purchase.

[one more thing, though I may get some daggers for saying this, don't buy one that's been lifted or significantly modded. Properly done, those mods are fine.... but too many are done by amateurs. At least with a factory equipped one, you know what you're getting]

Last edited by jay-h; 12-16-2007 at 07:47 AM..
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

i agree with jay-h, buy it stock and build it up the way that you want it. it will cost a bit more that way but you will learn a lot and know how to work on your vehicle if something goes wrong.

IMO if the airbags mean a lot to you then your going to be stuck with an older TJ, but if thats not a big deal im sure you can find a very nice YJ for a reasonable price and trust me you can find any part you need very easily for that vehicle.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #5
GPERSCREEPERS99

Hold out for a TJ 97-06. YJs 87-95 are ok but it's worth the wait for a TJ you will find one for that price.
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver
GPERSCREEPERS99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.