First Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Jeep

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRCV Axles at CCORPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 04-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

First Jeep

Hey guys, im new to the forum, and im looking to buy my first jeep.
ive been wanting to get one for a while now and im finally in a place where i can afford to, as a college student cant spend much, so i was looking to see if you guys can help.

im looking into a 2001 solar yellow TJ 4.0 I6 5-speed manual with 98k miles in it, i believe, as i have yet to see it in person, it comes with the D35,D30 standards and no lift but with 31x10.5 and steel wheels and everything else is stock. the asking price is about 11.5k and im not sure if its fair, what do you guys think?
ill set a link bellow.
Thanx in advance, and sorry for the lenght of the post.

http://www.acacarsofdublin.com/used/...6f86327f9f.htm

Unread 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks very clean and yellow/black is 1 of my favorite color combos. But price seems high. Prices vary by region of country, so do a bunch of shopping around.
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #3
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna
Looks very clean and yellow/black is 1 of my favorite color combos. But price seems high. Prices vary by region of country, so do a bunch of shopping around.
Thank you for the insight, from what I've been told, its never been off-road, and I'm hoping to haggle the price down, what do you think would be a reasonable price for it?
Unread 04-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #4
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

My opinion would be around $8500-9000. But, somethings value is defined by what 2 willing parties agree on.

If you have done your homework by forming a comparables list (like is done in real estate) by looking and comparing other wranglers that are for sale in your area. By options, condition, miles, how well it will fit your needs, etc. I shopped for 6 months, at over 30 Jeeps, and was happy with my choice and price I paid.

I looked at and drove, 4 & 6 cyl, soft & hard tops, old & new, lifted & stock, clean & dirty, car lots & private sellers, even vehicles I new I didn't want. This is the best way, so you aren't second guessing.

It is your money and your Jeep, so do your homework, make your decision, and don't worry too much about other's opinion.
Unread 04-27-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My opinion would be around $8500-9000. But, somethings value is defined by what 2 willing parties agree on.

If you have done your homework by forming a comparables list (like is done in real estate) by looking and comparing other wranglers that are for sale in your area. By options, condition, miles, how well it will fit your needs, etc. I shopped for 6 months, at over 30 Jeeps, and was happy with my choice and price I paid.

I looked at and drove, 4 & 6 cyl, soft & hard tops, old & new, lifted & stock, clean & dirty, car lots & private sellers, even vehicles I new I didn't want. This is the best way, so you aren't second guessing.

It is your money and your Jeep, so do your homework, make your decision, and don't worry too much about other's opinion.
Again thank you, what would be a checklist to go through if it's not too much trouble to ask, I know the transmission, accident reports, body damage or lack thereof, maintenance records, anything else?
Unfortunately my dad is helping me fund this project so private sellers are out of the question by his request, and this jeep is the only one that seems more than decent within the radius of my home town, which unfortunately is rather a pricey area=[
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The importance of "stuff" varies from person to person, and also depends on use and future plans.

For me, my Jeep was not going to be a primary vehicle, but rather a "fun top down" vehicle, as I am semi retired and have a pick-up as my primary ride, and I had no plans to off-road. Also, I tend to do my own maintenance.

My list included: no body damage, although I expect body nicks/chips in a used vehicle. no major frame/body rust, surface rust is expected but nothing deep. Un-molested, meaning no lift and no modifications under the hood, I hate seeing wires that come and go leftover from someone else. I hate trying to figure out what someone was trying to do.

I also looked for leaks in driveline and other places. I understand a minor seal leak, or even a water pump leak, but don't want to see the undercarriage just coated in wet old grease/oil. Regular service records are very important to me, even if it was a do-it-yourselfer. Look for undercarriage damage or evidence of off roading, like bent control arms, dented oil pan, etc.

And establish a "want" list, I wanted a stock, 6 cyl, manual tranny, soft top. I preferred a 2000-2002 model year for various reasons.

One other thing, I shop for several months and ended up going 6 states to get mine. So don't be in a hurry and being willing to expand your search.

With all this said, remember that the only 2 parties that have to agree is you and the seller (and your Dad), good luck. What I and anyone else thinks is just our opinion.
Unread 04-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The importance of "stuff" varies from person to person, and also depends on use and future plans.

For me, my Jeep was not going to be a primary vehicle, but rather a "fun top down" vehicle, as I am semi retired and have a pick-up as my primary ride, and I had no plans to off-road. Also, I tend to do my own maintenance.

My list included: no body damage, although I expect body nicks/chips in a used vehicle. no major frame/body rust, surface rust is expected but nothing deep. Un-molested, meaning no lift and no modifications under the hood, I hate seeing wires that come and go leftover from someone else. I hate trying to figure out what someone was trying to do.

I also looked for leaks in driveline and other places. I understand a minor seal leak, or even a water pump leak, but don't want to see the undercarriage just coated in wet old grease/oil. Regular service records are very important to me, even if it was a do-it-yourselfer. Look for undercarriage damage or evidence of off roading, like bent control arms, dented oil pan, etc.

And establish a "want" list, I wanted a stock, 6 cyl, manual tranny, soft top. I preferred a 2000-2002 model year for various reasons.

One other thing, I shop for several months and ended up going 6 states to get mine. So don't be in a hurry and being willing to expand your search.

With all this said, remember that the only 2 parties that have to agree is you and the seller (and your Dad), good luck. What I and anyone else thinks is just our opinion.
Thank you again for the insight, I have been shopping around for about 8-9 months and so far this jeep is the best I have seen, my plans for it are at least 100+k miles and taking it through rubicon, and moab, but I will definitely make sure I have all records of service and that it hasn't been taken off road by anyone other than me in the future.
I'm going in on Sunday to drive it and check it out thoroughly and we'll see how that goes.
Again thank you, you have been very helpful.
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #8
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Any update ? Did you go check it out ?
Unread 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any update ? Did you go check it out ?
I'm going in an hour, my dad had manager on duty work so he had to stay over night at a different city, so in waiting for him to get home in about 45mins.
Unread 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

2jhanna, update! I am now the proud owner of a 2001 TJ!
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:19 PM   #11
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

congrats, glad to hear it. take your time and "learn" your new vehicle.
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #12
JVLemur
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
congrats, glad to hear it. take your time and "learn" your new vehicle.
I will, specially since its stick and I haven't driven so in a while and I'm a bit rusty

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.