First Car for my 17 yr old Daughter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Car for my 17 yr old Daughter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 10-07-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Steve7001

First Car for my 17 yr old Daughter

In the vehicles that I'm am considering for my daughter I have looked at a Jeep unlimited 2013. I am also considering more conventional small SUV from Honda, Kia and VW.

I have been hearing that Jeeps are not recommended for new drivers, mainly because the vehicle is designed for more off road use. In addition, it may be unstable at highway speeds and may take a more experienced driver to dominate the vehicle. Also, that it has not done as well on frontal and side impact test.

I like the look of the vehicle, and frankly non of the other vehicle are very exciting. I would also be more at ease in the winter.

This vehicle is up on her wish list and really in the price range I am looking for but I don't want to make a bad decision. Remember, I know this is a great vehicle but we are talking about a 17 year old that will be driving to high school about 20 miles each way on New Jersey highways.

Thank you for reading this post and any insight will be well appreciated.

Steve7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I should beg to differ. SOME jeeps aren't for beginners because of difficulty of driving, but not all. If I am correct, the Unlimited is one of the safer wranglers and has very comfortable on road handling. It also has a longer wheelbase so it is more stable than the older models. It's also a full time 4-wheel drive vehicle(as of 2010 IIRC..) so wet weather handling will be better than those with front or rear wheel drive vehicles(STILL use caution as no vehicle can stop on wet/icy roads like they can on dry). Now if it came to worst case scenarios, the wranglers have a factory roll cage for the upper body portion so it could take a roll better than most vehicles. I'm not sure of the safety ratings as far as side impacts and such go, unfortunately.

My personal recommendation for a comfortable daily driver for a newer driver is for a cheapo car that has the highest safety ratings of the market, sits low to the ground and has great gas mileage(A good, broken in avalon or camry pops into mind). Word of the wise is don't give an amateur tools of the pro's because it can give false hope and make them feel more empowered than they really are. Some say giving an SUV of any kind to a brand new driver is a bad idea because they end up thinking they're the king of the road and are more likely to make risky decisions. Of course you would probably be the best judge of if that might describe your daughter.
Now THAT bit aside, I would recommend either a wrangler unlimited, a grand cherokee, or a wrangler rubicon(though the rubicon is more built for offroad performance vs on road performance). Those are, strictly in my opinion, the safest and most suited for every day, city/highway driving for someone both of little and large skill levels.

Just my $.02. Hope that helped some!
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

a toyota , maybe a good honda, honda are good they don't break down
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
AF-Jeff
1979 FSJ Cherokee 

I would say it's based on how much driving experience she has. I am 20 and learned and spent the first few years driving small family cars. Like a focus, great car. I'm sure you know that driving small cars with good handling serves as a much better way to learn how to drive safely and surely. People who learn on trucks and bigger vehicles tend to overcompensate when driving. I drive a big jeep now and still in the transition area but I can say that as long as I keep a level head and keep track of traffic I will be fine. So take your daughter on the highway in the varies car choices and which ever one she feels most natural and in love with go with.
peace and goodluck.
AF-Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #5
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

I started with a zj lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Adam013085

I don't think a jeep is any worse than another vehicle in its class for a beginning driver. I always thought it was a bit crazy to spend $20k plus on a first vehicle. They WILL wreck it or have at least some small accident in it. However since its not my money and if you want an opinion a Jeep is as good as any other vehicle on the road.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

one thing you need to consider, what she going be doing the next five years, is she going off to college, did she need something cheap, good on gas, that doesn't get broke into nightly. a jeep is not a good college car. when you starting out and you have no money working low pay jobs, jeeps are not a good choice.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
one thing you need to consider, what she going be doing the next five years, is she going off to college, did she need something cheap, good on gas, that doesn't get broke into nightly. a jeep is not a good college car. when you starting out and you have no money working low pay jobs, jeeps are not a good choice.
No suv. Is lol
xrunndonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
turpehar
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

The dude has the dough for a 2013 Unlimited. Why buy something she/he won't like since money isn't the object. And cost of gas isn't a deal breaker or he wouldn't be considering the Jeep in the first place.

Go for it Steve. If it doesn't work out, well, Jeep has the highest resale so you won't get hurt if you have a change of mind and sell it.

I bought my youngest son a 98 XJ to borrow during high school. Spotless with130k for $4500 five years ago. He has his own 93 right hand drive XJ now and my wife is still driving the 98. Nearing 200k and still getting 18mpg.

(Trial + error)*Upgrades) - $² = (mac-n-cheese/hot dogs)+experience

https://www.facebook.com/CentralILOffRoad

http://centraliloffroad.com/
turpehar is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.