First Car - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > First Car

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #1
sdsneed

First Car

Hey guys, I'm looking into a first car and my first choice is obviously a jeep wrangler, but I'm not to sure about whether or not I would want to drive a 5-speed. My other choice is an 07 grand cherokee. The worst part of this jeep is that it is not 4x4. I want to be able to use a car on road and off road. Any suggestions on what to do?

sdsneed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
mwmoon
2007 JK Wrangler 

I live right down the road in Grifton, and I'm in the market for a new Jeep, too.

If you want to use it on road and off, absolutely stay away from anything that is 4x2. I've read the 5-speed automatic in the new Wranglers is really nice, and I test drove a couple of '14 JKUs with a six-speed manual and was very impressed.

I know the opinions vary greatly on this topic, but I'm one of those guys who feels like a Wrangler ought to be a manual transmission. To each his own in that regard.

You can't beat a Wrangler for the fun factor. I had an '05 for several years, traded it in for a Dodge Ram 1500 pick-up and am looking to get back into a Jeep again.
mwmoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you want it buy it. But know that non 4WD Wranglers are not valued highly. You don't say what model or year or anything about the vehicle, so no advice can be given as to condition, price or what to look for.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
sdsneed

I also have found a good 2006 Grand Cherokee that is 4x4, has a 2" lift, and 32" BFG KM1.
sdsneed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As I have stated many times here: If at all possible buy a stock unit. Jeeps that have been "lifted" are of unknown quality. Unless you are an expert on lifts or have one with you, you know neither the quality of the hardware or the expertise of the builder. You stand to inherit loads of headaches unless you have knowledge of the subject.

You probably need to do a lot of research on this forum before you begin your search. Knowledge is power.

Last edited by WDNewman; 11-18-2013 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: clarification
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.