Extended Warranty... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Extended Warranty...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 03-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
Paratrewpr
2010 JK Wrangler 

Extended Warranty...

So my dealer has located a new Jeep and hopefully I'll be driving it this weekend or early next week. In drafting up the paperwork for my last failed attempt (dealer couldn't get the vehicle they located), I was informed of the extended warranty options as you always get the pitch for when buying a new vehicle. I got one on the wife's car and ended up using it a few times actually so that one paid for itself. Normally though, I'm not a fan of them. But... Toward the end of the sales pitch the finance lady says "...and we have a Lifetime version..."

Seeing as how I kept my last jeep for 19 years (still have it) and have performed countless fixes here and there on it including having a new trans put in it, I'm thinking, this might not be a bad deal if I kee[ the new one even half as long. But the little voice in my head warning me that if it sounds like a good deal from the dealer, something is probably wrong with it.

So, my first question is, has anyone else seen this when buying a new Jeep?

Second, if so, did ya get it?

Assuming for a moment that this is relatively free of underhanded fine print, wouldn't this be a no brainer? The price by the way is about 10% of the Jeep.

Just curious what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Paratrewpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
mellyva

Did you end up getting the lifetime -- or any extended?

I'm in same boat now -- trying to decide. Thanks!
mellyva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

small print, lifetime is average years of ownership, about four years. not 50 years. extended warrenty are rip offs even if you do use them.
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #4
gtome

You should ask what they offer and the price difference when you buy your extended warranty colser to when the factory warranty runs out. I would hate to be paying for a warranty on a car that already had a warranty. I was a service manager for a car lot for 5-6 years and I saw warranties that saved people a lot of money..... if they were decent ones. Usually one use and the warranty paid for itself and then some. I never understood buying it when the car was new? But I also never got into if that was the best time to get it, or if it was cheaper when it was new??
gtome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #5
kuruma
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Find out how long exactly the warranty is good for (if used how long is left) If you can get them into hard bargaining you can usually get some of the price taken off the warranty. Just try to make it a condition of the sale. I would get one mostly for piece of mind. Keep in mind also that the newer jeeps probably have a lot more electrical stuff that can go haywire than your old one did. It may not be just a matter of wrenchtime. I've always tried to get a good warranty on any vehicle just to offset the price I may have if something goes wrong with oem pieces of the vehicle. Then if something breaks you can ask for upgraded Mopar stuff to be installed minus the cost of the original equipment.
kuruma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
small print, lifetime is average years of ownership, about four years. not 50 years. extended warrenty are rip offs even if you do use them.
Are you sure about the 'Lifetime Maximum Care' extended warranties only covering 4 years? I didnt read all the fine print but it wasn't described to me in that manner.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #7
Paratrewpr
2010 JK Wrangler 

No it was told to me that it's for however long the original owner owns it with a caveat that there is a reasonableness factor that remains vague to me. I'm guessing that means they won't replace part xyz after 50 years. But if they say lifetime, they ought to be more specific. They have warranties for more than 4 years (5, 6, 7 years etc) that all cost way less than the lifetime so the 4 years theory doesn't make sense. I ended up not getting due to all the mods I'm doing. From lift to gears to chip... It would be too easy for them to say, "no that problem is caused by this mod or that".
Paratrewpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I agree.. the only time the warranty is worth buying is when you buy a used vehicle and pay $50 to transfer the warranty to you. Otherwise, open window, toss money out.

Ask for a copy of the contract.... reading the contract is the _ONLY_ way you will ever have an idea of what is covered. BTW, I suspect wheel-n the vehicle will make warranty null & void.

People seem to think that the sale is complete by time they hit the Finance Manager's office.... the fact is, this is where the Dealership really makes its money.
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
warranty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.