Educate me on 1987-1990 YJs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Educate me on 1987-1990 YJs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-08-2014, 02:01 PM   #16
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think that price is too bad really, considering you can probably get him down to $6,500 or so. It shows pride of ownership in the little things he has added. Probably rust free, coming from FL. Mine is from CA, also rust free, and I can tell you what a plus that is. Compare that to all the rust repair and bolt extraction the guys around JF are always talking about.

If it is equipped how YOU would want it, not a bad deal.

Says he has a hard top too, which is worth $750 or so if it is in good shape. That soft top is a Bestop. Same model I have on mine.

bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 02:24 PM   #17
rogerv

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I love my 89, 4.2/ weber Yes it does require a little tinkering, but hey we own Jeeps. If you don't already have them two things to add to your tool box are a timing light and a vacume gauge. Like mentioned above the low end trq is awesome.
Unread 05-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #18
JMark
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I'll pile on in favor of the carb'd YJ's. Damn thing has never failed me in many years of use. I did swap in an Offy and Weber (and an MSD ignition and a few other goodies over the years). I am currently doing a facelift, and considered an engine swap. But in the end, I decided to stay with the 4.2 (and the TF 999, which I did have rebuilt this round). Personally, I like the simplicity of a carburetor. I understand them and can take them apart and clean them etc. I'm sure smarter people than me would be equally comfortable with FI. But I'm pretty much a dumb old country hick. I like things simple. Assuming they work.
JMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #19
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMark View Post
I'll pile on in favor of the carb'd YJ's. Damn thing has never failed me in many years of use. I did swap in an Offy and Weber (and an MSD ignition and a few other goodies over the years). I am currently doing a facelift, and considered an engine swap. But in the end, I decided to stay with the 4.2 (and the TF 999, which I did have rebuilt this round). Personally, I like the simplicity of a carburetor. I understand them and can take them apart and clean them etc. I'm sure smarter people than me would be equally comfortable with FI. But I'm pretty much a dumb old country hick. I like things simple. Assuming they work.
+1. I'm with you on that. If you live where you can strip off all the emissions stuff, a carb becomes dead simple to work on with pliers and a screwdriver.
Unread 05-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #20
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I've had both. Sorry guys, the 4.0 will walk all over the 4.2.

HOWEVER, It's a Jeep, not a Vette. I did really like the 4.2, it did everything I ever asked of it.

If I found another jeep I liked with a 4.2, I wouldn't hesitate, I would buy it.

I think the price is close. Automatics are rare, so are nice Sahara's. The interiors are nice and they usually came with tilt wheel, delay wipers and storage pockets galore.
See if he will budge a bit.

Think of it this way, we all spend obscene amounts of money on our Jeeps because we are all obsessed. So what if you pay a couple extra bucks right off the bat. In a year or so, what you originally paid for the Jeep won't matter.
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #21
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post

HOWEVER, It's a Jeep, not a Vette. I did really like the 4.2, it did everything I ever asked of it.

If I found another jeep I liked with a 4.2, I wouldn't hesitate, I would buy it.

I think the price is close. Automatics are rare, so are nice Sahara's. The interiors are nice and they usually came with tilt wheel, delay wipers and storage pockets galore.
See if he will budge a bit.

Think of it this way, we all spend obscene amounts of money on our Jeeps because we are all obsessed. So what if you pay a couple extra bucks right off the bat. In a year or so, what you originally paid for the Jeep won't matter.
sorry chris, a 4.2 built right will walk all over a 4.0.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #22
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
I think you're right as far as highway performance. The 4.0 has better performance on the top end. But if you want to putt putt around ranch roads, or crawl up hills, the 4.2 has the better low end torque. And that's what I appreciate. Don't spend much time on open highways in the Jeep.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #23
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
sorry chris, a 4.2 built right will walk all over a 4.0.
Mine ended up that way. Offenhauser, Holly 390 4 bl, ect. The 4.0 is still a bit more refined and there is nothing keeping me from building it too.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #24
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I think you're right as far as highway performance. The 4.0 has better performance on the top end. But if you want to putt putt around ranch roads, or crawl up hills, the 4.2 has the better low end torque. And that's what I appreciate. Don't spend much time on open highways in the Jeep.
I liked my 4.2 and would easily own another. It's a sweet long lasting motor. It took me from my teen years well into adulthood, abuse and all.

The 4.0 loves to rev. Just what I need at the dunes.

Here is a chart. There is no point that the 4.0 doesn't develop gobs of torque. Even at idle speed.

Unread 05-08-2014, 09:47 PM   #25
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

YJ's are stool holding their value. But CJ's are going up. If I was going to buy a jeep with carb Id get a cj. Plus the headlights are the right shape.
Taking2long is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking2long View Post
YJ's are stool holding their value. But CJ's are going up. If I was going to buy a jeep with carb Id get a cj. Plus the headlights are the right shape.
The price of YJ's has gotten stupid over the last few years.
They are going up too.
Unread 05-14-2014, 04:58 AM   #27
ccb_dan

Thanks again lads. I'm going to check out an '87 this afternoon. I'll post some pics and info later.
ccb_dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.