Early 70's Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Early 70's Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-13-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
Keestan31

Early 70's Jeep

I have never owned a Jeep but I have been looking for a project and I found a Jeep the owner says is between a 68-70 jeep, has a 304 v8, he doesn't know much else about it because he got it when his uncle died...it runs, body is in decent shape, 4x4 works, but it needs a new clutch...he is asking $350 I was just wondering if you could give me a little more info on how these jeeps are what type of drivetrain they came with, what axles they came with...or any other valuable info I may need....there is not title but it is just going to be an offroad project anyways

Keestan31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a CJ-5. The clutch is easy with a standard tool box. Drop the driveshafts, unbolt the tranny and transfer case as one from the engine, pull the tranny back to expose the clutch. If the flywheel looks okay, replace the clutch, throwout bearing (and pilot bearing if it has it, I'm used to the 258 so have no idea), and pressure plate. Put the tranny back on and hook up the driveshafts.

There are some other things you'd need to do such as pulling the shifter mechanisms and clutch release mechanism, but a Chilton's or Hayne's manual will do you wonders.

I would venture that the 304 alone (if it runs) is worth the $350 he's asking. If the tub is intact it's CERTAINLY worth that and more. Check this thread for what I mean. If I lived closer I'd be chomping at the bit to buy it out from under you!!

As for what they ran for driveline components, they were as varied as they come. My 74 had a 258 I-6 with a 3 speed and a 5 position transfer case (4Hi-2Hi-N-2Lo-4Lo) which I found unique. As far as I know they came with 3spd, 4spd and 5spd manuals and 3spd autos. They also came with 151 I-4's, s different I-6's and two different V-8's. The axles were just as varied as well. There were also short and long wheelbase chassis. Buying a CJ is like getting a Christmas present. You can own it for a couple years and still be finding stuff out about that you never knew.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Last edited by Mickey_D; 10-21-2008 at 01:14 AM..
Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.