Do Jeeps hold up? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Do Jeeps hold up?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #1
gman1251

Do Jeeps hold up?

I have an Xterra and have been pretty happy with it now I am looking to go to the Jeep. I don't go off-roading in rocks just some dirt and snow. I tow a small boat and go camping and biking. So I need one with 4 doors, Automatic and Air and a good ride on the road. Looking to stay under $30K for a used one. What models are good and which are bad. What about the liberty why are they cancelling it? Any good advise will be welcomed.

gman1251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Liberties have a ton of problems, the 3.7L V6 and 42RLE transmission both have major reliability problems and newer Liberties (KK) seem to be poorly assembled.

Wranglers are decent, 2012 and newer with the 3.6L Pentastar V6 or 2006 and older with the 4.0L I6 (TJ/YJ) would be recommended (note: 4-door wranglers weren't available until 07), 07-11 Wranglers tend to have reasonable reliability (particularly with the manual) but the 3.8L ("mini-van") V6 tends to be underpowered.

WK2 Grand Cherokees (2011+) are decent if you want the luxury features it offers and don't plan to beat it too hard off-road.

XJ Cherokees (84-01) are very reliable and capable off-road if you don't mind an older vehicle, (91-99 tend to be the most reliable).

Jeep Model Glossary:
XJ: "Regular" (Not Grand) Cherokees. (84-01)
YJ: Wrangler 1st generation (87-95)
TJ/LJ: Wrangler 2nd generation (97-06), LJ is a stretched wheelbase version (04-06)
JK/JKU: Wrangler 3rd Generation (07+), JKU is the 4-door "Unlimited" version
ZJ: Grand Cherokee 1st generation (93-98)
WJ: Grand Cherokee 2nd generation (99-04)
WK: Grand Cherokee 3rd generation (05-10)
WK2 Grand Cherokee 4th generation (11+)
MK: Compass/Patriot
MJ: Comanche (an XJ Cherokee based small pickup)
KJ: Liberty 1st generation (02-06)
KK: Liberty 2nd generation (07-12)
XK: Commander
SJ/FSJ: Full Sized Jeeps (Wagoneer/ J-Series truck/ pre-84 Cherokee)
CJ (pre-Wrangler "Jeep" Jeeps, pre-87)
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
dragon672
2014 MK Compass 

What about the Compass/Patriot line? What's your thoughts on them?
dragon672 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon672 View Post
What about the Compass/Patriot line? What's your thoughts on them?
If you don't plan to do any off-roading (they can handle bad weather and mild off-roading such as fire roads, but they are not really designed for off-road use.) and can deal with the gutless 4-cyl engine they are ok. Reliability is about average at best (neither great or terrible). These are based off the Dodge Caliber platform so most don't really consider them "true Jeeps". That being said they are still more capable than most compact cross-overs.

I would highly recommend the manual transmission as the automatic is a CVT which sucks (especially behind a small 4-cyl).
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #5
zachm
2002 WJ 

A Mechanic told me to stay away from the Patriot.
zachm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Grogie27

I haven't heard many good things about patriots or liberty.
Grogie27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
WranglerRouser
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Just get a 4.0L I6 manual, no regrets!
WranglerRouser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.