Dealers marking up prices? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Dealers marking up prices?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-08-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

Dealers marking up prices?

I just sold my 84 CJ7 yesterday because my kids no longer can get in the back. I am already starting to regret it. I started searching for new Jeeps seeing that on Jeep.com the MSRP's starting at 26K or so for a sport and going up to 35K for a Rubicon. I would prefer to go with a Rubicon. Only problem is they are nowhere near the 35K asking price at local dealerships. 99% of them are over 40K. Maybe I'm old school but 40+K for a jeep of any sort seems a little rediculous. I know it depends on add ons and such but I would be willing to go up to 35K. Whats weird is I was shopping for mustangs a while back (up to a couple of weeks ago)and a GT [remium track package MSRP was like 40K + and I was finding them for as little as 31K. So why is it all backwards on these new Jeeps. I don't get it.

Taking2long is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

I see you're in Texas, dealers are pricing them high here I've noticed.its a regional thing I'm sure. But, there's always negotiating room. I got the last 2010 Rubi the dealer had because the 2011 were in. So I leveraged them with other dealers 2011 offers. Northwest Dodge on 290 is where I got it. I know it's kinda far from pearland but have you checked with them? If you send me a PM maybe I could email my sales rep and ask him to email you.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Consider "Starts at" on the website is a basic Rubicon with no addition features whatsoever.

Many Rubicons on lots have leather, automatics, higher model radios with navigation, towing, the premium softtop (or hardtop). It adds up very fast: you can get a 2 door over 40k with a few clicks.
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

Yeah but I don't care about all that crap. I just want the rubi for the out of the box off road capabilities. My wife will be the one driving it so I'm not going to go through the trouble of upgrading. But I do want to take it off road occasionally. If I was buying for me I'd buy a sport then upgrade rear, diff, suspension, etc. I just usually remembering when researching and buying other cars usually e-prices are way lower than the msrp when you build and price on the mfg website. This is the first time it's been quite the opposite.
Unread 05-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
I see you're in Texas, dealers are pricing them high here I've noticed.its a regional thing I'm sure. But, there's always negotiating room. I got the last 2010 Rubi the dealer had because the 2011 were in. So I leveraged them with other dealers 2011 offers. Northwest Dodge on 290 is where I got it. I know it's kinda far from pearland but have you checked with them? If you send me a PM maybe I could email my sales rep and ask him to email you.
Yeah I heard somewhere that northwest is the place to go. Looks like them and autonation Katy are the two most competitively priced. I might wait a little while. I'm thinking it's been too nice outside and all the jeep bunnies are jumping in right now. It's like a gym membership in January. At least that's what I'm hoping
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:43 AM   #6
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

I'm wondering if I should just get a sport for her to mall crawl. I do want to put 35's under it and some nice bumpers. I just know that eventually temptation to go wheeling will get the best of us. When I say us I really mean me.
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
AngryRedBird

True.. We can't see spending 40K for a jeep.. call us cheap.. but our current 08 JK was 17K slightly used cream puff with 30k miles.. had it for 2 years and we've double the mileage.. Now ready to turn 64K and it's tie to start thinking about a few upgrades.

You have two options..
  • Order the new jeep.. IE don't just pick and choose on what the dealership has.. Get that Rubi you wanted without all the addons and do the addons yourself or later.
  • Seek out a slightly used jeep and follow the addon process mentioned above.. Thou you may have to clean up the past owners mistakes..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
aristobrat
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking2long View Post
I'm wondering if I should just get a sport for her to mall crawl. I do want to put 35's under it and some nice bumpers. I just know that eventually temptation to go wheeling will get the best of us.
Believe it or not, Wranglers without the Rubicon extras (front D44, lockers, 4:1 transfer case) have been "wheeling" well for years.

It's not like if you buy her a Sport, it'd only be capable of mall crawling, and you're screwed when the "temptation to go wheel" hits ya'll.

Unless you really think you'll be doing more difficult wheeling where you're likely to bend a D30 front axle, or need lockers to pull yourself over, you'd probably be wasting your money getting a Rubicon.

As for dealers marking up the price. Like you said, a stock Rubicon Unlimited has a MSRP of $35K.

But once you've added an automatic transmission, GPS, leather seats, dual tops, 4.10 gears, remote start, side airbags, tow package, etc, the honest-to-god MSRP can be $47K.

Granted, you don't want all that crap, but if the dealer ordered a Rubicon with just some of those options, $40K+ can easily be the MSRP, without the dealer having marked anything up.

As for why you don't see new ones going for $9K under MSRP like you do with Mustangs, take a look at the USED value of Wranglers. I bought my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited for $36K. It's coming up on 5 years old, and KBB private-party shows its (stock) value at $29K. If used Wranglers are only depreciating that little, I'd be very surprised if a new car dealer is selling them for the same amount.

FWIW, if you're serious about getting a new Wrangler and don't want to hassle/haggle with the dealer, check out the tread lightly website. If you join as a paying member (I don't remember which level is required), they'll send you a Chrysler Affiliate Discount certificate that will let you buy for 1% under invoice.
aristobrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2014, 04:18 PM   #9
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Believe it or not, Wranglers without the Rubicon extras (front D44, lockers, 4:1 transfer case) have been "wheeling" well for years.

It's not like if you buy her a Sport, it'd only be capable of mall crawling, and you're screwed when the "temptation to go wheel" hits ya'll.

Unless you really think you'll be doing more difficult wheeling where you're likely to bend a D30 front axle, or need lockers to pull yourself over, you'd probably be wasting your money getting a Rubicon.

As for dealers marking up the price. Like you said, a stock Rubicon Unlimited has a MSRP of $35K.

But once you've added an automatic transmission, GPS, leather seats, dual tops, 4.10 gears, remote start, side airbags, tow package, etc, the honest-to-god MSRP can be $47K.

Granted, you don't want all that crap, but if the dealer ordered a Rubicon with just some of those options, $40K+ can easily be the MSRP, without the dealer having marked anything up.

As for why you don't see new ones going for $9K under MSRP like you do with Mustangs, take a look at the USED value of Wranglers. I bought my 2010 Rubicon Unlimited for $36K. It's coming up on 5 years old, and KBB private-party shows its (stock) value at $29K. If used Wranglers are only depreciating that little, I'd be very surprised if a new car dealer is selling them for the same amount.

FWIW, if you're serious about getting a new Wrangler and don't want to hassle/haggle with the dealer, check out the tread lightly website. If you join as a paying member (I don't remember which level is required), they'll send you a Chrysler Affiliate Discount certificate that will let you buy for 1% under invoice.
That was very helpful info. I was thinking a sport would be fine. Probably just get a few options.
Unread 05-09-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
GS430
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are you a member of USAA? If so, their car buying service is pretty stout. I just purchased my wife a new E class wagon and the fleet discount helped me get 11 percent off the MSRP. Initially, the dealers were unwilling to work with me on price because its a very low production vehicle, but the USAA buying program really helped.
GS430 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #11
Taking2long
1984 CJ7 

Not a member. But I'll look into it. Thanks.
Unread 05-12-2014, 08:31 PM   #12
R U STUCK
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS430
Are you a member of USAA? If so, their car buying service is pretty stout. I just purchased my wife a new E class wagon and the fleet discount helped me get 11 percent off the MSRP. Initially, the dealers were unwilling to work with me on price because its a very low production vehicle, but the USAA buying program really helped.
The USAA program is nice. But with a Jeep the discounts are not as big. You can do the same with the Tread Lightly discount also.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #13
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

I paid in 2012 33.5k for our 2d Rubi, options were auto with 4.10 hardtop and E windows. Hind site the hard top was waist as are the e windows since i never use the top or doors. could have saved a few k there. I had to order this jeep too as all the jeeps on the lot were way high priced with leather, Nav/upgraded stereo etc etc. I can tell you the radio's CD will fail off road once it gets dust in it as will a few other things i wont get into here.

As for bending axles. nope, from the Rubicon to the Dusy(yearly),Moab and here in AZ i only run trails that a jeep with out lockers wont make it. I do not care how good you think you are at the wheel. People that bend these axles at the C and such tend to drive like 16 year old that thinks its a Hammer rig. The drive train on the rubi today seems to hold up rather well as long as you DO nOT go over 35's. Now the ball joints and the tie rods, the drag link are all fairly much junk with plastic liners in the cups. ok for street use but once on trails those parts fail like a house of cards on them all. By oct. this year this jeep is 3 years old now, many many many trails. Being in two busy clubs here keeps this jeep off road about as much as on at least driving it to places adds up in miles. no trusses, no C trusses. never broke an axle. I have been involved in many many trail repairs of broken axles MOSTLY d30"s. I have helped people with that right foot to brain issue repair ripped off control arms. If you drive it right it will do very hard trails. I can say I see FEW new jeeps on our runs. I get asked all the time why would even bring that thing here/ or there on that trail. Well it is a jeep, not my first rodeo.

of all the option the new auto is fantastic off road and with the Rubicon even more so when its in the rocks with the option of 4.1:1 gears you are set for 35"s out of the box with a small lift or even no lift if you get the right fenders. that alone saves you from having to dump 3k+ in it right after the first payment. 4:1 low is great for crawling with new auto more so. Like having the Rubicrawler mod in the older 42le. But this trans can handle 2x the torque and is stronger that the stick used today. rated at 580 newtons/425 foot pounds about+-. but with auto /4.10 option it adds like 2k now. was more like 1.3k back in 2012.
Unread 05-13-2014, 07:30 AM   #14
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

I would highly advise getting the tread lightly discount. ~60 (i forget how much) and they have to give it go you at 99% of invoice. This way you can just order it and only pay for those options you need.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #15
nwiTJdave

I would try going online to different dealerships and offering X amount for the vehicle via online pricing. Just make sure you use a throw away email address as you will start getting loads of crap emails from the dealerships, but let them know you are pricing out to different locations. And going near the end of the month for better deals is also works as well.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.