Is this crazy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Is this crazy?

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #1
NJS

Is this crazy?

Alright this just came to my mind and it might be a little crazy and some may even call me cheap for it but I thought Id see what you guys say. I thought about today maybe collecting cans in order to buy a cj. Number one your probably thinking I should just get a job, but I have one but college is expensive. Around where I am I can get a decent cj for around $2500 and that would be about 4000 cans. Is this crazy and am I just dreaming or has anyone ever thought of this before? haha.. Or if anyone from my area would be interested in helping by setting cans aside that would be awesome. Im still contemplating the idea but I think it could work..I'm so tired of driving my moms mini van... Thanks guys

NJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Saving cans is not a bad idea, BUT I would recheck the math.

$2500/4000=.62.

That's 62 cent per can, who's going to pay you that?
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:43 AM   #3
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ditto on checking the math. Not only on the cans but on the cost of the Jeep. You won't get a "decent" CJ for $2500. Remember you live in the rust belt, and jeeps, especially CJ's are very very prone to rust.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Adam013085

It would take quite a while to save up $2500 for cans. It takes roughly 30 cans to equal a pound. 1 lb of aluminum is around 80 cents. It would be better to not drink soda/beer and save that money to put toward a CJ.
Adam013085 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
SVTANNIE
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you located at?
SVTANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

My uncle does this for money on the side he makes 150a month give or take he also collects golf balls from golf courses he makes a lot of money doing that unno why he does these things he's I think a CEO at mead
xrunndonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
robtco99
2001 XJ Cherokee 

A cj would probably be a poor choice of a vehicle for a broke college student. Terrible mpg, always having to work on it, practically no heat, etc.

Focus on your grades and chasing women while in college. You can have a nice jeep after you graduate.

It would take you forever to get enough cans to save for any vehicle. Even most frats that I know of saved their cans to cash in and buy more beer lol.
Unread 11-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
xrunndonex
1994 ZJ 

Could also consider posting " I'll take all the scrape metal from your house and give you 30% of the earnings" on cl also could invest in a metal detector
xrunndonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
NJS

Alright I got it, yes that was a stupid math mistake it would be about 50,000 cans haha it was just a thought though. Im probably not going to do it but yes I have looked at jeeps on cl going on 6 months when I had the money at the time, and there were decent ones that weren't rusted out for around 2500. But thats beside the point, I think I'll go restore another old boat first and try and make a profit. Maybe I'll get lucky.
NJS is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.