Could use your suggestions! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Could use your suggestions!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Chuckles3rd

Could use your suggestions!

Hi all, I am currently looking into joining the jeep family with my next purchase. I found a stock red 1997 Jeep wrangler for sale. Its a one owner since new and has been garage kept. Its virtually in mint condition and I believe I've found it for a good price.

Since its such a deal I would like to immediately invest some money into it to make it look more and function more appealing. Ill probably start with the headers, only because Im going to have to replace the Exhaust manifold so that is first. Then I was thinking lift and tires. What are the usual lift hights and companies you guys trust. Same goes with tires and rims with sizes. Also, Any other suggestions or warnings I should head? I cant wait to get out and have some fun. Thanks ahead of time for your posts.

Cheers,
-Charles

Chuckles3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

1997 is going to be a TJ. If it has round headlights, you may be in the wrong section... However, i'll throw some advice out there from my early year TJ buddies.

Doublecheck the frame and body for rust...
Frame: around the rear shackle mounts, around the power stearing box.
Body: everywhere... specifically on the rocker pannels near the "jeep" logo, near the seat mounts, floor boards, near the roll bar mounting areas, and the body mounts.

Aside from rust, the only well to really get an idea in terms of how the motor is doing is a leakdown test and compression check... If the transfercase shifts, it works.

As for lifts, well......... there are a LOT of opinions out there on that. If you indeed have a TJ (coil springs) then I recommend the TJ section for additional advice.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

He said its a '97 that would be a TJ.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Chuckles3rd

Thank you guys and sorry if Im in the wrong place. I have never used threads before so I will take this one down soon. As for rust we did find a small spot when we had it looked at. And we know a body shop that said they could fix it. Or replace it. Now, For you guys, would that be a deal breaker? Does it interfere too much with the frame work or will it be okay if handled by a professional. Thanks for all your help guys!
Chuckles3rd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You do not say where you are from in your profile, but if you are in the salt filled northeast or northern US rust would be the main concern. I personally would not buy a Jeep with ANY rust ANYWHERE. There are just too many of those little dudes out there to buy one with any rust. Look in the southern or southwestern US for a local unit if you cannot find one where you live. Headers, Lifts, etc., etc. all come after you have the Jeep operating perfectly. Look for a completely rust-free, completely stock unit. After sorting that out, then you can begin your own interpretation of what a Jeep should be like. Understand that you will never get your money back from modifications. In fact the jeep may lose value by modifying it.
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDNewman View Post
You do not say where you are from in your profile, but if you are in the salt filled northeast or northern US rust would be the main concern. I personally would not buy a Jeep with ANY rust ANYWHERE. There are just too many of those little dudes out there to buy one with any rust. Look in the southern or southwestern US for a local unit if you cannot find one where you live. Headers, Lifts, etc., etc. all come after you have the Jeep operating perfectly. Look for a completely rust-free, completely stock unit. After sorting that out, then you can begin your own interpretation of what a Jeep should be like. Understand that you will never get your money back from modifications. In fact the jeep may lose value by modifying it.

^^
This!
I had no idea what a perfect little gem I bought. Got it off a car lot and paid too much, but for an un molested Jeep it was worth twice that to me now. Look for one that has been towed behind an RV. You will know it has not seen any abuse and been meticulously maintained by a fussy old man.

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
WDNewman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
^^
This!
I had no idea what a perfect little gem I bought. Got it off a car lot and paid too much, but for an un molested Jeep it was worth twice that to me now. Look for one that has been towed behind an RV. You will know it has not seen any abuse and been meticulously maintained by a fussy old man.
I paid too much for mine too, according to a lot of experts, but it was worth it. It is Canadian made but sold new in Georgia and has never left the south. Needed a timing chain and a crankshaft position sensor to get it running perfectly, the worn-out carpet ripped out and thrown away, all the old coins, gum wrappers and hair pins swept out and two new seats. Remaining projects are brake pads, new springs, new top and a paint job.
But it was all original, had no rust anywhere and had a potload of new parts.
As you said, perfect gem.http://www.jeepforum.com/ubb/cheers2...1_MduZLw30.gif
WDNewman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
06-TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

when it comes to a tj, the most common lift/tires you will see are 4in suspension lifts on 33's. why? because it looks great, performs great off road, but still maintains its on road handling. pro comp makes good tire and wheel packages. i personally have 31x10.5 pro comp all terrains on pro comp lockers. it is a beast. the options are unlimited so you can really make it your own. good luck!
06-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.