Considering a Wrangler Unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Jeep Forums > Jeep Buying Forum > Considering a Wrangler Unlimited

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Brookie68

Considering a Wrangler Unlimited

Hi - First post here. I've owned a Wrangler YJ and a Cherokee in the past, and I'm currently driving a 4Runner. Since I've got two kids, I really need a four-door. I would have looked seriously at the Wrangler Unlimited had they been available when I bought the 4Runner. Given the dealer incentives available now, I'm kind of thinking of looking into one.

I'm mostly just curious to learn what folks' reaction to the W. Unlimited has been. Any comments on their reliability? How is the wind noise when driving with the soft-top closed? Anything I should watch out for? Basically any and all comments would be welcomed. Thanks

Brookie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

The hard top is pretty quiet IMHO - The soft top is quiet provided not truck are driving next to you and its not windy out - Otherwise you will hear the same amount of noise as if you were in a tent camping.

So far so good with our Unlimited Sahara, however its only been a month.
gogogooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #3
UTAH

With Jeeps, every thing's relative to the earlier models. I've owned everything from the CJ's on up and each new model is quieter. In my first CJ5 soft top my wife and I could not even hold a conversation on the freeway.

I just traded in a '07 JK soft top (below in my sig) for a '09 JK hard top. The hardtop is quieter - but not by that much. My soft top JK was surprisingly quiet. I think much of it is probably due to improved aerodynamics on the JK's.

Bill
Unread 03-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
Rudinater
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've been on I-10 doing 80mph with the soft top and I could talk with the passager with no problem. The hard top has even less noise.

I would think about a 4runner, Explorer, or any other SUV but the Jeep is the only one I can find with 4X4 in the Houston/Texas area.

Red 09 Unlimited Rubicon - Teraflex 4inch long arm lift, Elka shocks, 5:38 gears, 37inch GY MTR's, Expedition Core front bumper with Warn PowerPlant HD, RS-E rear bumper and carrier, RS-E step rock sliders.
Rudinater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Xander

The JK owners in our Jeep club seem very satisfied. They do well on the trails and you can put 33s under them with out much modification (BB).
Unread 03-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #6
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ur 4runner is going to last you forever (Ive got 155k miles on my old 97..ran it into the ****ter and still runs brand new) if its the years 96 to 2002...if it is possible....keep the 4runner n get a 2 door or 4door if u have the cash...personally if its an 03 an up i'd trade it in for the 4door jeep I've heard the new generation of 4runner is crap

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Brookie68

Thanks for the input. The 4Runner is a 2003 - runs perfectly with about 62,000 on it. It' got a long, long life ahead of it, which is a big part of why I bought it. Never suited me very well, though. I would have bought a JK if they'd been available at the time. Seems silly to think about trading "down," from a Limited 4Runner with leather, power everything, and that's paid for as well. But, like I said, it never seemed to suit me that well, and the incentives out there are pretty interesting.

Rundinator - I was at Archer Jeep on I-10 this afternoon. If you have any insight into which local dealerships are best (or worst) to deal with, I'd be interested to hear.
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yea i never felt my 4runner suited me either...seems alot of people go from a 4runner to a jeep lol. i took my jeep off road today..jeep is still stock and ran through crap my 4runner could only dream of going through...i was amazed..get a jeep man especially if you are gonna go off road but also makes a real cool daily driver. you wouldn't be trading down as a jeep is a very cool investment..ability to take doors/top/windshield off, its just all about what you want really, i can guarantee you will love the jeep community though

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
-Zach
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
Brookie68

Thanks amigo. Sounds like good advice to me. Wouldn't surprise me at all if I find myself with the top down in a month or so.
Unread 03-29-2009, 12:31 AM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hey, no problem. I pretty sure you won't regret the crossing over...i didn't and im sure alot of other people on here can tell you the same. Good luck in your decision...and if you get one...remember to wave

Quote:
-Zach

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.